Darry

Darry's P.O.V

We had to stay up with Two-Bit all night just to make sure that he wouldn't run.

"What if she gets jumped?" He asks and Blair sighs.

"Go to bed Two-Bit. The faster you fall asleep the fast Noel gets home." She tells Two-Bit and several minutes later he falls asleep.

"Dally knows something.." She says and I look at her. I didn't notice before but she looks a lot like Noel. Her dark hair falls around her face and frames her dark blue eyes while her sullen features make her look older than she is.

"What do you think it is?" I ask her and she shrugs.

"Something about them.. about last night." She says as she rubs her eyes.

"Dawn's due date is coming up soon.. How are you doing?" She asks and I sigh.

"I still can't believe it." I admit and she nods. She's silent for several minutes and I can tell she's internally battling herself.

"The charges against Noel were all because of me." She finally says and I stare at her.

"The only reason she was caught stealing and fighting was because she was trying to get me food and the manage caught her.. Noel yelled at me to run so I wouldn't get sent to a girls home and she got sent to the cooler.." She explains slowly as she shakes her head.

"I'll never be able to repay her.." She adds.

"Yes you will." I tell her and she catches my stare.

"Really? The police aren't looking for them. They're greasers and so are we..," She starts to laugh.

"It doesn't matter what happens now." She finishes and I realize that even though she's fourteen her knowledge is way past her age.

"Might as well make you my legal guardian because there's no reason in sitting here waiting for someone who's not coming home." She says as she stands.

"They're coming home." I tell her, trying to get the last word.

"People like us don't come home Darry. Save your tears and realize that." She snaps as she goes into her room and slams the door. I sigh as I look up at the ceiling.. Pony what have you gotten yourself into?