Noel

I sit on the front porch swing with my knees pulled to my chest wondering if he's lying to me. The front door opens and he steps out onto the front porch.

"Can we talk?" He asks and I shrug as he sits next to me.

"I know that you think I'm still the man I used to be but I'm not. Farrah helped me get off drugs and she was the one who suggested that I try to find you." He explains quietly.

"You've missed so much I think it's impossible to catch up." I say and he nods.

"And I will spend the rest of my life catching up if you let me." He sounds sincere but he's still that man who I would hide from as a kid. There's a long period of silence for a while.

"So you're.. pregnant?" He asks and I nod.

"Who's the dad?"

"Soda." I answer quickly trying to avoid the question.

"What are you going to do?" He asks and I shrug.

"We're going to discuss custody and-"

"Wait you guys aren't a couple?" He cuts me off and I shake my head. We talk about a couple things but I don't think I can get used to the whole dad-is-your-new-best-friend situation.

"So would you consider living with me in the South side?" He questions and I sigh.

"No."

"No?"

"No because this is my family." I tell him and he scoffs.

"These hoods? C'mon Noel we both know you're better than that." He says but I shake my head.

"Then we obviously have found something that we don't have in common because I love these people. And sure they don't live in the best neighborhood and they all have their own issues and yeah there's a possibility I could get jumped at any moment and they may have the longest police record I've ever seen and probably will ever see but this is the happiest I've ever been in my entire life and if that's not good enough for you then i'm sorry." I ramble quickly and he just stares at me stunned.

"Noel I think you're being ridiculous." He says but I just laugh.

"You know what's ridiculous? Watching a grown man beat an eight year old." I snap and he gives me a defeated look.

"If you want to have an actual relationship with me.. My boyfriends house is done the street. Me and Blair live there." I tell him as he walks off the front porch and into his car. Soda comes out to the porch and I look at my feet.

"I want to talk about the baby." He says abruptly as he sits next to me.

"I think we should."

"What should the last name be?" He asks.

"Jackson." I say immediately and he nods sadly.

"Do you want anything to do with the baby or do you just not care?" I question and he's silent. I stare at him until he meets my stare and nods.

"I want the baby to grow up with their dad in their life." He finally admits and I smile.

"Really?" I ask and he nods.

"Thank you." I whisper and he nods. And that was it. I got my dad back and so did the baby.