Dawn

We stayed with Johnny all day. He faded into and out of consciousness which scared me because he already looked dead.

"He's really hurt.. The numbers aren't in his favor." The doctor slowly explains to me and I nod.

"Is there anything we can do to improve his survival rate?" I question and he shakes his head.

"He broke his back and his burns are severe. He's in a lot of pain." He says.

"So.. He's going to die?" I ask bluntly and the doctor sighs.

"I'm sorry but... Yes. He is." He tells me. I never really was afraid of death. I always knew it was a possibility since my parents became drunks. We lived in Soc territory with a big house and decent money coming in. When we got to where we were I was accepting death. People get shot or get killed in rumbles so it was okay but this is Johnny. Young, innocent Johnny.

"How long does he have?" I ask.

"A week.. two?" He guesses and I sigh.

"Thank you Doctor Parker." I say as he leaves the room. I stare at Johnny and wonder why he got himself into this. Why did Bob have to be drunk? Why did they have to try to drown Pony? Why didn't Noel get him out? Why didn't Dally go in? All these questions flood my mind as Darry hugs me and kisses the top of my head.

"He's going to be okay.." He whispers and I sigh. I let him think that I believe him because he didn't hear what the doctor told me.. My brother is dying.