Darry

I go to work and it's the same old same old. While roofing Mrs. Willow's house I can't help but let my thoughts wonder. I think about how Dawn is due in a couple days and how Noel is due in.. well nine months basically.

"Darrel?" I hear Mrs. Willow call out. I start making my way down the ladder and I see her standing there with a glass of lemonade. Mrs. Willow is a frail old women who was widowed as of last year.

"I made you some lemonade. It's hot out here and I don't want you to be passin out especially on top of the roof." She says and I laugh.

"Why don't you sit down?" She suggests.

"Oh no ma'am. I don't want to inconvenience you." I tell her.

"Nonsense. Sit down." She orders and I do so.

"That girlfriend of yours.. Dawn is it? She's pregnant ain't she?" She asks and I nod.

"Yes ma'am. With twins." I say and she smiles.

"Children are a gift.." She says and I smile.

"For the first day." She finish.

"Yes I understand but we are fully prepared." I explain and she nods.

"Well I think it's good that you are there for her. Not a lot of fathers these days are." She says.

"And you're friend.. Noel? She's a sweet girl. She used to wash my car for me." She tells me.

"How's she doing these days?" She asks.

"She been having trouble breathing but she's doing good. She's pregnant." I say and she nods.

"Please don't mind me asking but who's.. the baby's dad?" She asks and I sigh.

"My little brother, Sodapop."

"Oh that mechanic from DX? My daughter from the country knows him he worked on her car." She says and I almost choke on the lemonade.

"Um... I should be getting back to work. Thank you Mrs. Willow." I say quickly as I climb back onto the roof. It can't be? Could it? I don't stop thinking about what she said for the rest of the day..