Sledge Hammer

Jake couldn't shake his migraine at all. He tried to focus on the lesson but the slightest mishap would rip through his skull. It felt as if someone was smacking his head against the ground. Suddenly Jake felt a hand on his shoulder. Jake looked up as Hannah let go of him and sat back down.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he noticed her face had lost all color.

"I looked up and you were completely out of it. I needed to make sure you were still alive." Hannah smirked. Jake nodded slightly and rubbed his head. As class went on the migraine only seemed to worsen. Soon Jake could barely lift his head from the pain. At the end of class Jake started to stand as Hannah helped him up.

"T-thanks..." He mumbled. As Hannah let go Jake lost complete feeling in his body and before he knew it he was on the ground. He heard a scream and commotion as people surrounded him and all he could see were blurred out lines of people's bodies.

Jake forced his eyes open as he shot up. He looked around violently as he noticed his bedroom walls and ceiling. He sighed with relief and fell back onto his pillow. He grabbed his phone and opened it. A message from Hannah.

"Hey Jake, just making sure you're ok, since it's been a few days since you made a dramatic exit. Text me when you wake up." Jake glanced at the date he received it. "Ten days ago..." He read off. Jake rubbed his eyes as his joints groaned from the sudden movement. He sat up and stretched his arms as they popped at the joints. He grabbed his phone and tapped on Hannah's contact. It rang for a few seconds but no answer. He put his phone down and looked out his window sunny, yet something was off. It was very quiet. Jake pushed open his bedroom door that creaked violently. He walked downstairs and to his parents' room. He grabbed the door knob and went to turn it when the door didn't budge.

"Dad? Mom?" He called out, yet no answer. Something about the room didn't feel right, as if it had been silent for days. Jake started to panic and started to push against the lock. Soon he had a sudden urge of strength and the door flung open. Jake fell forward and hit the ground. As he picked himself up Jake looked to the bed. His stomach twisted violently and his throat went dry. He dry heaved twice until something came up. He fled the room with tears in his eyes and shock in his heart. He raced up stairs and to his sisters room. He ripped the door open and it was empty. He ripped open her closet yet no one was there. He ran to his brothers room but the same result met him. Jake grabbed his phone and called Jax. It rang several times before someone picked up.

"Hello?" A voice rang out.

"Jax? It's Jake, what the hell happened while I was asleep!?" Jake demanded.

"Jake!? Where are you? I'll come to you." Jax cried out as a voice in the background mumbled something. Jake gave Jax his address and Jake walked to the front yard and sat down. That's when he saw a bright green rock lodged in the dirt beside him. He dug it out and a similar engraving of that of Hannah's was on his. Jake shrugged slightly and the roar of an engine raged to life as an old Camaro raced around the turn and screeched to a halt in front of Jake. The door on the far side flung open and a girl ran from one side of the car to Jake's side so fast when she wrapped her arms around him Jake nearly fell over. Jake put his arms around her and held her. Hannah let go and as did Jake.

"Where the hell have you been?" She asked in a demanding tone. As Jake was about to answer Jax walked up beside Hannah and held up an orange rock, resembling the green one.

"Where did you get that?" Jake asked.

"I found it in a fire." Jax answered.

"Where did you see a fire?" Jake went on.

"You must've just woken up than, Cranton burned to the ground yesterday." Jax went on.

"What!? How!?" Jake said with a lump in his throat.

"Some large blast of light went off in the street and as I was running out I found this rock." Jax confirmed. Jake felt his head race. He ripped his phone from his pocket and went to his contacts.

"What are you doing?" Hannah asked with a worried expression.

"I'm calling some friends to see if their alive." Jake said as he put his phone to his ear.

"Jake... the fire happened after school when the theatre department was rehearsing... none of them made it out...." Jax mumbled. Jake dropped his phone and fell to his knees. He felt his heart pound with sorrow.

"Take me to the remains or give me the keys." Jake demanded.

"Jake, the last thing you need to do is see the mess." Hannah defended.

"I don't care Hannah! The last words I spoke to them was a written line I had in the play. I need to do this." Jake boomed. As Jax and Hannah got in the car Jake ran back in the house and grabbed his coat and sunglasses. He drew a cross on his parents' door and locked the front door with a two by four. He gave the house on last glance before walking to the car and getting in.