Rescue

After five hours of driving Jake had finally begun to see familiar buildings again. As he continued on he began to see military vehicles parked alongside the roads.

As he turned his head back to the road he gasped and slammed on the breaks. He skidded to a halt just in front of a woman and a few others dressed in army uniforms.

However the girl looked familiar to him.

"Step out of the truck!" She commanded.

Jake turned off the truck and opened the door. He stepped out and slammed the door.

"What's your name?" She boomed.

"Waver, Jake Waver. Let me guess, Ellie Thompson?" He asked.

"How do you know my name?" She commanded as she drew her gun and aimed between his eyes.

"Relax, it's Jake, from high school." Jake spoke as he raised his arms and the metal of his arm shined.

"The Jake I know doesn't have a false arm." Ellie argued.

"He didn't, until he lost it in a fight with someone very powerful." Jake mumbled, his heart filling with both pain and hope.

"I thought you died in the Theatre. There was a stone with your name on it." Jake snapped.

"I had to, it was the only way to protect ourselves from the invaders." Ellie spoke as she lowered her gun slightly.

"I know that it's you Jake, I just had to make sure." Ellie mumbled as she dropped her gun and walked towards Jake. He lowered his arms and started towards Ellie.

"It's been six years." Jake mumbled as she wrapped her arms around him and he did the same.

"You said 'ourselves' does that mean everyone else is alive?" Jake asked, his heart now filling with hope.

"Not exactly, Emily, Josh, and Trinity died not too long ago, and a few others ran off. Like Lilli, she took off after the explosions went off. We haven't seen her since actually." Ellie mumbled as she wiped a tear away.

"Lilli... Ellie, I found Lilli about ten days after the take over. We even started dating, she was the best." Jake spoke.

"Wait, you said was. What happened?" Ellie asked.

"Well, that is an extremely long story... Lilli and I dated for a year and during that year... we acquired powers, powers that gave us the abilities of one of the four elements. I had Earth, Lilli had fire, and two others had water and wind.

Then, we met Thatcher... a horrible man, the same man who took my arm. The four of us fought against him for what felt like decades. We had gotten over every other fight. One fight, I gave my arm, the other, she gave her home... I was supposed to give my life in the next fight. But I didn't, Thatcher had pinned us down and had guns to our heads.

He was such a mentally draining person. He could make you turn over your own weapons before he would even have to kill anyone. He flipped a coin to see who would die... It was supposed to be me at the end of that bullet. Not her." Jake couldn't help but let a few tears out.

"I could've stopped it. I had enough strength to take him down but I didn't, because I was to scared of might've happened if I had." Jake turned around and looked at the palm of his hand.

There, etched into his hand was the scar that would forever mark him as a wielder of the earth element.

Jake turned back to see Ellie standing, she was holding a phone to her ear.

"You're the last of the four?" Ellie asked quickly.

"Yeah, it's only a few others and I left. The reason I came out here was to actually take a breather. After we killed Thatcher I needed to go back home, see what had changed in the last six years." Jake confessed.

"We were actually, going back there to look for survivors here in a few hours." Ellie spoke in a chipper tone.

"Great, let's go then." Jake spoke in an uncertain tone.

After hours of packing up two trucks they were able to set off, but not before Ellie announced Jake was there.

"Alright!" Ellie shouted, the group instantly went silent.

"We all know about the sudden vanishings of two of our dearest friends. Jake Waver and Lilli Flanning. I have both good and bad news. The bad news is... Lilli died five years ago, fighting alongside non-other than Jake. She was very important to us... however, the good news is. Jake Waver is alive and well, though he has lost his arm to Thatcher, who used to rule us with an iron fist, Jake and a few others who are not here have located and killed Thatcher."

The crowd cheered.

"There is a convoy of Thatchers remaining troops heading toward us. Now, I will turn it over to the one who knows every single one of you." Ellie finished.

Jake walked into the room and held up his hand.

"Hey guys." Jake spoke.

The group stayed sitting. First a scrawny man stood up. He had a goatee and scars over his arms and hands. He wore cracked glasses and had very thick black hair.

"Hey buddy!" The man called as he walked towards Jake. Jake grabbed the mans hand and pulled him into a hug.

"Hello Daniel." Jake mumbled.

Daniel turned to the group and smiled.

"It's him!" Daniel shouted.

The group erupted with cheers. After meeting old friends once again, Jake and Ellie managed to create a plan to take down the convoy.

"So, you're like their leader." Jake brought up as he tightened a panel on his arm.

"Yeah, after a few months of leading ourselves I decided to stand up. It took a while but I finally managed to convince them." Ellie explained.

"Why did it take Daniel to say it's me for the others to believe it?" Jake asked.

"Well, you aren't the only one that has powers, Daniel can read minds as long as he is connected with them through skin." Ellie finished.

"What about Abby? I didn't see her in there, did she take off?" Jake asked.

"Yeah, she was shaken terribly by all of the sudden deaths and when you hadn't shown up for a week or two." Ellie went on.

"What was the last place you saw her and when?" Jake asked as he stood up and grabbed a cloak from a nearby box and pulled it on.

"Last week, around Dallas. What are you doing?" Ellie asked as she followed him out of the building and towards Daniel.

"I'm taking Daniel to Dallas to find her. She couldn't have gone far. Does she have a power? I honestly wouldn't be surprised anymore." Jake went on.

"Yeah, speed. She's faster than a bullet." Ellie finished.

"Okay, we'll report back in a few days if we don't, we're dead. I bet if she's just been running around we aren't the only ones that know about her." Jake finished.

"So you're just gonna take one of my soldiers and run off to find a girl that doesn't want to be found?" Ellie snapped.

"That girl just happens to be an old friend to the both of us and if you're half the person I remember from sophomore year, you'll come with us." Jake shot back.

Ellie stopped dead in her tracks and sighed.

"Fine, I'll leave Madison in charge." Ellie finished.

"Good, we leave in the morning."