Shadows Of The Past

Jake jerked awake and immediately shielded his eyes from the blinding sunlight. He climbed out of the bed and walked into the bathroom.

He flicked on the light and turned on the water. Jake splashes the cool liquid onto his face and gazed into his reflection.

His hair was shoved around and matted to his skull. His beard had reached official redneck status.

He grabbed a pair of clippers and immediately went to work. After about thirty minutes of work he managed to get it back down to a low scruff.

He than quickly showered and got dressed in a black t shirt, black cargo pants, black army boots and a black leather jacket with two white stripes that went from right to left.

Jake gazed at his phone and saw that it was around ten a. m. He sat at a desk and ripped a piece of paper from a note pad then grabbed a pen whilst looking at the deep red stain on the carpet in his room.

As he wrote his phone buzzed.

"1029-JW, it's only a matter of time before Big-K gets a scent on your trail. You need to leave before your friends figure out what's going on. You have ten minutes." The message had been quickly sent.

Jake sighed and tossed the pen onto the desk along with his room key. He grabbed his bag and quickly headed out of the room. As he walked out of the motel a white, 1965 Mustang pulled up in front of him.

Jake tossed his bag into the passenger side window and walked around towards the driver's side door before swinging it open.

The car roared to life as Jake took one last look at the rooms and he noticed Anthony's car not far from the entrance.

"Nice car." Kyle spoke suddenly.

Jake jumped and hit his head on the roof of the car. He climbed out of the car and yanked Kyle by the loose fabrics of his shirt.

"What do you want!?" Jake snapped.

"I want to know why you're leaving." Kyle asked as he yanked away from Jake's grasp.

"I have a bounty on my head, if I'm caught with the team, they'll kill them. I need to get away from it all. I have people waiting for me across the country. Tell Abbie and the others, I did it for the best." Jake mumbled.

"You know, Abbie thinks you're they best thing that happened to the team. She believes you can lead them to victory. But now I know, you're a sell out." Kyle snapped.

Jake said nothing but stepped towards Kyle and in one quick swoop he punched Kyle in the jaw with his metal hand and sent him to the ground.

"Tell them whatever you want, they won't believe you." Jake spoke as he sat back in the car and took a deep breath before slowly rolling away.

As he sped down the road he glanced the the rear view mirror and saw Abbie walking out towards Kyle then instantly noticing Jake speeding away.

Jake looked back at the road and cleared his throat. He tried to drown out the shouts of Abbie trying to flag him down with the roar of the engine.

He wiped his eyes and pushed the pedal to the floor.

As he drove Jake felt his phone vibrate. He took a deep breath and looked at the screen. It was Ellie.

He sighed heavily and tossed his phone into the passenger seat.

As he drove, Jake watched as mounds of dirt and massive buildings race past him. He drove for what felt like days towards the west.

As he crossed the state line into Nevada he noticed a white corvette speeding towards him. Jake slowly pulled to the side in order to let the speeding car pass him when it slid to a stop just behind him.