The wedding

Minela was dressed in a white gown. It was made of pure, shiny silk. The fabric was soft and comfortable, fitting perfectly under Minela's skin. The dress was not like the bulky traditional ones. It was long and slim, hugging her curves and it made her look taller. This one felt light and the design was finely made, one look at it may make it look like an ordinary dress, but if you scrutinise the details, you can see the delicate details on the top. The sleeves were thin, almost invisible to the eye with detailed flowers near the wrists and the neck, as well as the top of her chest.

She looked very ravishing. She had a smile etched on her gorgeous face however, only she knew that behind those smiles, were hidden many emotions. Her life was about to get ruined and she was welcoming her devastation with a smile.

Her mother entered her room, which will no longer be hers. A genuine smile was spread across her face. Her eyes held tears, not of sadness but of joy. She had been waiting for that day impatiently.

Mother hugged daughter tightly and took her arms, leading her to the hall, where the wedding will take place. Mr. Gillion kissed her daughter's forehead.

"My baby has grown up." He whispered as he gave her a hug.

"I'm going to miss you my munchkin." He said, tears threatening to fall. Minela started crying not only because she was going to miss them and her old life but also because she knew that devastation was waiting ahead. She had not been able to stop the wedding. She couldn't afford the bankruptcy. She couldn't put her family on the streets. Even though she didn't need Ariven in her life...she sure needed the money he had to offer.

"Shh... don't cry, your make up will be ruined." Her father wiped her cheeks cautiously, trying not to smear her makeup as he kissed her forehead. Minela faked a smile.

"Don't be sad dad, we'll still meet every day, at the office right?" She said, hugging her dad tightly.

"Minela, come!" Jeeneah called her.

The hall was decorated extravagantly with creme coloured satin curtains and white lilies. Red velvet was spread along the aisle. Chairs were spread on both side of the aisle. Mr. Gillion walked hand in hand with her daughter and the guests applauded. Mr. Gillion had a huge smile etched o  his face. He couldn't be happier. His little princess was getting married today. He couldn't believe it. Paparazzi and journalists were present. Jeeneah and Clomestiana were standing on the side. The professional photographer they hired asked them to stand still so she could take picture of them.

The Watsons and The Gillions were the most reputed family in the city. Other renowned celebrities, designers and artists were also present. To Minela, it felt like the whole city was present. She always wanted a grand wedding where everyone she loved was present. In her mind, she had always had a perfect picture of her wedding. It was just like she imagined, everything was perfect as far as the preparations were concerned, except for the one she was marrying.

Minela looked at Ariven who was  looking at her with a stoned expression.

She stood next to Ariven whilst the priest muttered some prayers. It felt weird being that close to Ariven but not being with him. Her heart was thundering in her chest. To said she was nervous would be an understatement. She was petrified.

"Do you, Miss. Minela Frandez Juinee Lukra Yonderva Findelle Gillion, accept Mr. Ariven Stramond Anxaël Watson as your husband and promise him with your loyalty to life?" She blinked, coming out of her reflection and suddenly realized that the priest had just asked her a question. Her breathing became ragged. Could she just say no and end it all? Stop the disaster that was waiting ahead, stop her life from ruining? What if the media was present? Was her life more important than business, than her parents' expectations, than their lives? No, she thought, she couldn't be that selfish. Could she risk bankruptcy, the stakeholders, the investors, and the fact that her parents and her could become homeless? They'd all disappear in a snap. She took a deep breath, as she answered.

"Yes." It was barely a whisper but the priest seemed to hear.

"Do you, Mr. Ariven Sramond Anxaël Watson accept Miss. Minela Frandez Juinee Lukra Yonderva Findelle Gillion as your wife?"

"Yes." It was spoken clear and loud enough for the whole hall to hear. They exchanged rings. Ariven didn't once look into Minela's eyes and he took all precautions not to touch her hand while sliding the ring into her finger.

"You are declared husband and wife." The priest announced and everyone cheered." You may kiss the bride."

Ariven placed his hand on the fabric covering her hair and pressed his lips on hers. Minela felt a chill that was more than skin deep down her spine. Bounded by will, a will that was probably not of her brain, she wrapped her arms around his neck and they kissed seemingly pationately. Minela had never kissed anyone before but Ariven could see that she knew how to kiss. For a moment, Ariven looked into her eyes, which was glimming with desire, desire for him?

After that, they both went home. Minela was directed to her room where all her luggage had already been placed. The room was decorated with rose petals and candles. Varsha, Minela's house maid who came with her, entered the room. She was awestruck by the decoration and quickly left the room, blushing even, wondering how lucky her mistress was, how perfect her life was. Everything would've been perfect if only Ariven came. Ariven never entered the room that day, the day of their first wedding night. Minela never came out of the room. She felt asleep crying and drowning in her own pity.

Another maid, Gargoisse, from her new house came, shocked to see her crying on the bed. She wanted to comfort her, say something or ask something but she didn't think it was her job so she decided to close the door quietly and leave.

Minela woke up, feeling her back ache from the awkward position she had fallen asleep. She had cried herself to sleep last night, neither bothering to change her clothes last night, nor remove her makeup. As she contemplated the ceiling in her room, she knew then, that she had descended the stairs of her annihilation.