Thirty Nine

-Mia-

I woke up with a small pain in my back, the sun shining through the open window and onto me. The bed was cold and empty and I was laying in the middle by myself.

It took me some time before I remembered what the night before. I sat up automatically before covering my mouth and running to the bathroom, vomiting into the toilet roughly.

I cleaned the toilet, brushed my teeth and showered. During that whole time, I pondered a lot on what happened. I was scared to see him again yet confident to as well. I needed to tell him what had to be heard.

I cautiously walked downstairs and heard the sound of laughter coming from the kitchen - his laugh to be exact.

Biting my lip, I pushed the door open to see Vincenzo leaning against the counter by the stove whilst laughing. April was sat by the island with a huge smile on her face as she ate her toast.

He stopped, noticing me and his smile faded. "Hai mama!" April cheerfully said, I forced myself to stop looking at her father and smiled at her, ruffling her hair. "Good morning, darling, are you alright?" She nodded, munching on her food, finishing it.

I grabbed a wipe from the pack, letting her drink some of her juice before I wiped her mouth. "Why don't you go upstairs and play for a little bit then I'll get your coat and shoes on for school, okay, honey?" She nodded, saying goodbye before leaving the room.

I was alone with him.

I bit my lip, rubbing my arm as I looked at him but he didn't meet my eye. "We need to talk," I told him quietly but he didn't reply instead, took April's plate and cup and began washing it in the sink. I stood there watching him.

He finished and dried his hands before grabbing a clean plate and putting two slices of bread on it and beginning to make a healthy sandwich. He cut it in half before turning and facing me. He placed it on the counter and poured some orange juice in a glass and placed it beside the plate before looking at me.

Silent treatment, huh?

I couldn't decipher what was going on in his eyes. His face expression seemed neutral, emotionless and hard at the same time.

I looked down at the plate, realising it was for me. It was healthy for me and the baby. I bit my lip again, slowly taking a seat in front of the plate. "Thank you," I told him genuinely as I looked at him in concern. "Can you talk to me?" I asked quietly as my hands felt warm and I placed them on the table, taking a bite out of the sandwich.

He glanced over at me, unfolding his arms before leaving the room silently. I sighed, dropping the sandwich and placing my head in my hands. What was I supposed to do?

I hung up on the phone with Cat before leaving my phone on the counter and moving to go downstairs. I was midway down when suddenly April came running down and there wasn't enough space.

She had an aeroplane in her hand and zoomed past me, knocking me off balance so I tripped, falling down the stairs while screaming.

I quickly gripped the handle, sliding down, my stomach scratching a little against the wall as I fell at the bottom on my butt. I gasped, my hand going to my stomach instinctively.

I panicked even though I was lucky not to fall on my stomach. April seemed to realise what she had done wrong and tears came into her eyes. "Mama!"

"April, it's alright, just go and get daddy." I didn't want to move. My back was on the wall. I was scared even though I knew the baby wasn't harmed. I had to be sure.

She quickly ran away to find him and not long after, Vincenzo came, a worried look on his face. "Are you alright? What happened?" He asked, finally talking to me. He crouched down, his eyes filled with concern as he put his hand on my stomach.