Chapter Forty- "Always."

Chapter Forty.

"Always." 

          As soon as I had put the car in park, I threw open the door and didn’t even bother to turn it off. My mind was running a million miles per second it seemed like. I wasn’t thinking rationally, I had one priority on my mind right now and that one priority was Justin.

             I ran through the grass to try and see if I could find a glimpse of him and sure enough, his body lay perfectly still on his back, embedded in the flowers. I didn’t know what to do because my body wouldn’t move. All I could do was continue to let my hands shake and feel the sobs escape my mouth. All of those scenarios in my head a couple of moments ago had come true. They all started off differently but had the same ending. This was the ending.

            Just then, his head started to move and it felt like a thousand pounds had just been lifted off my chest that he was still alive. I didn’t waste any time before I called 911 and finally, my legs allowed them to sink down beside him in the flowers and examine what had happened.

            He had a bullet wound in his chest, the blood seeping out of his white t-shirt. I couldn’t look at it any further without wanting to puke right here on this very ground. The only thing keeping me by his side was his chest slowly moving up and down, the breaths coming out staggered, not clearly.

            “Bella?” He whimpered and I swear my heart stopped in my chest when his eyes slowly opened.

            “911 what’s your emergency?”

            Gripping the phone closer to my ear, I grabbed onto Justin’s hand and tried to get myself to calm down so I could help him. I’ve never been good with intense situations and frankly; I’ve never been good around blood. But he was the love of my life and I will do anything to keep him alive.

            “Y-Yes.” I stuttered. “I need help. I-I mean my boyfriend does. He’s just been shot.”

            “Where is your location?”

            Giving her the appropriate directions to get here, she then told me help was on the way, making me feel one thousand times better. Justin needed to hold on and I was going to make sure that he did. No way in hell was he leaving me. Not now.

            “Do you have something to put pressure on his chest?” The woman asked through the receiver. “You need to put pressure on it to stop the bleeding.”

            “Am I dreaming?” Justin murmured and blinked his eyes a couple of times when he saw me staring down at him. “Why are you here?”

            I didn’t even think twice before I stripped myself of the sweatshirt I was wearing and pressed it forcefully against his chest, making him cry out in agony. I didn’t want to hurt him but this is what she told me to do. I was going to do anything to help him.

            “I did it.” I sobbed and tried to tear my eyes away from the look of pain on his face.

            “Just remain on the line with me mam.” She replied soothingly. “Help is on the way.”

            I nodded my head in silence as if she could actually see me and just kept the pressure on his chest, despite his attempts to get me to remove it. I didn’t want him to die. I wanted him to stay with me so we could have a future. The one we always talked about having.