9

Ty'Lia|Ty

"Man Ty, whatchu doin in there? Damn!" Quade just about beat down the door to the bathroom. I cut the shower water off.

"What do it sound like I'm doing?"

"Man, you always getting smart. Yo mama said get yo keys and come on. Some' bout going to Walmart." I sighed through my nose and told him okay. After I put on some semi decent clothes, I went down the steps.

"Wassup ma?" I asked, keys in hand.

"Come on, we gotta go to the store for this trip." Emanuel and mama got up. Since we graduated a couple of days ago, and I was worried Mama would ask too many questions about going to Savannah, we decided to turn it into a "graduation present".

I got in and made my way to Walmart, daydreaming.

"I can't believe this man, thought Mr.D was gone fail me for sure." Amber says, smiling like crazy as families began to flood the field.

"Congratulations...we finished."

"Congratulations to you, Ms. Salutatorian." She teases. "Oh my lamb, is that Quando?" My eyes got wide as he jumped off the bleachers with four bags in hand.

"Oh no, I hope he's not giving that to me."

"Why?"

"You know how they are." I nodded to my smiling parents as they approached. She nodded.

"At least they care." She smiled and waved and I looked at her with sorrow. I hate to say it, but Amber's parents were idiots and never ready for a kid. She had to do just about everything on her own.

"They care about you, too." I assure her as we walked toward them. As soon as we got there, we were flooded with hugs. Emanuel got the worst of it since he was there first. Quando came up to me and hugged me.

"Good job, kid."

"Thanks." He hands me two of the bags, making me sigh in relief. He gave the other two bags to Amber and Eman. Amber's face lit up the most. She wasn't expecting anything. She gave him a huge hug, then followed up with my parents.

"Hey, that was nice of you."

"Oh really, ian notice."

"Shut up."

Mama's voice brought me back to reality.

"Y'all excited? I remember we took you and Kelsey to Savannah one year. Had so much fun." We ended up talking about the time we had, but I knew it wouldn't be the same. I knew it wasn't gonna be the typical River St. type stuff.

When we got in Walmart, Mama quickly dismissed Eman.

"Go and get stuff that you need. You know what to do, don't you?" He slightly nodded. I guess he was still half asleep since mama woke him up to bring him here. She sighed as he walked off.

"Jesus bless it...come on." I followed her around like a puppy as she threw stuff like deodorant and soap in the buggy. I was kind of annoyed since I could've done this myself, but I appreciated the time spent. I raised an eyebrow when she stood dead in front of the condoms.

"Ma..." I snickered a little. "I think it's a lil too late for those." I said truthfully, earning a glare.

"Not for you."I froze.

"Huh?" She shakes her head.

"You're 17, Ty'Lia. I don't expect you to be a virgin until marriage. Ya dad is the only one that expects that. I don't know, because I didn't." I just looked down at the floor. At the products. Anything but her.