30

Ty'Lia|Ty

"For once—" I turn to Quando. "For once during this stupid summer, I would like to chill." I roll my eyes.

"Why you getting mad at me?" He asked as he opened the door for us.

"Dude—never mind." I mumbled as we came in. The precinct was pretty empty, except for two people talking behind the front desk. The glanced at us, then kept talking.

"Excuse me?" I called them in a professional like manner, but they ignored me.

"I know y'all hear her!" Amber said rudely. "See, this that bullshit." She started to walk off, but Quando grabbed her and we walked out.

"Fuck is you doing? You gone get us in booku shit witcho mouth!" Quan started ranting to her.

"Okay, but them racist bitches saw us! Let a white bitch come in that hoe—"

"It don't matter—" I stepped away when my phone started to ring.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is Julia Needsmith from Atlanta Police Department's Juvenile Unit, is Talia Baker available?" My breath got caught in my throat. Without thinking, I blurted "This is she." I turned to them as they argued dramatically, then Amber bursted out into tears. I shook my head.

"Hi, Ms. Baker. I called you because earlier we picked up your son—"

"For?" I asked.

"Well, he was fleeing police."

"Okay, and what were you guys originally arresting him for?"

"I—um—I'll have to talk to the arresting officers about that, some miscommunication—that's all."

"Oh?" She cleared her throat.

"Yes ma'am."

"I'm actually at Precinct 45 right now. May I pick up my son, or is that a problem?"

"No ma'am, it's not a problem at all! I'll get somebody to show you to my office. Thank you."

"Mhm. Bye bye." I hung up.

"Y'all—"

"Nawl, cause I'm sick ah you yellin' at me like I'm yo child or some'!" Amber sobbed as Quando just stared.

"Ion know what I did, she just busted out." He held his hands up.

"Just Stay out here. They'll probably recognize you." I mumbled, handing him one of the twins and walking in.

"Mrs. Baker?" I kept a straight face and turned to the white officer that called me. "Right this way." I walked towards him and followed him down a hallway. He knocked, then opened the door and let me in, holding it open.

"Hello, Mrs—...Baker." She stood up to shake my hand and I took it.

"Good afternoon." I said before sitting.

"I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you look quite young to have a son this old." I chuckled sarcastically.

"I started pretty young, now if you don't mind, I'd like to get my son out of here." I started off with a smile, then back to my straight face. She looked kind of scared of me, making me laugh internally as she shuffled with her papers. I glanced at Quade and he gave me a small smirk.

"So, in order for us to release him, you have to sign these papers approving him for community service?"

"What?"

"I'll handle this." I glared at him. "Community service? Ma'am, from what you told me on the phone, he should be able to walk out free. May I talk to the arresting officer?"