35; Don't play me for a fool

CHAPTER 35

[ SAME DAY ]

"How will I start the conversation?"

I sit there alone in a small coffee shop, waiting for him to arrive. I get myself and him iced coffee to drink. Though he has not arrived yet I still bought one for him incase the verbal apology does not work. How many times me and Jeongguk are going to apologize to each other? I wonder.

The coffee shop is not really fancy but it is welcoming. The strong scent of coffee fills up around the area, I love coffee so I did not mind the strong smell.

I decided to meet here instead meet at Jin's cafe where I work; don't want to make it awkward for us. The last incident that happened there, can't get it out of my head, like haunting me.

Take a large sip of my iced coffee that is when I see a familiar face entering the shop. Instantly stand up, smiling awkward right when our eyes meet.

Jeongguk smiles, looking at me but that did not reach his eyes while walking near the table where I am.

"Hi."

He greets me simply. I sense the awkwardness but let it slide. We are here to fix things not make the more complicated.

I have grown attach to him, no denying and don't want to lose someone who can be a good friend to me just because of some silly issues.

I need to fix this mess. The mess I made, unknowingly.

"Thank you for coming on a short not-" Breathe Y/N, Breathe..

"Drop the formalities, Y/N. We need to complete the project too.

He cuts my words flashing a weak smile at me; guilt instantly builds inside me for what happened to him that day.

Jeongguk walks closer to the table, pulling the chair out to sit right across me. Clearing my throat while sitting right after him.

"I didn't just call you because we have to work but I also want to apologize," I say, sliding the other glass of coffee towards his side.

"Don't!"

I look at him pausing for a second, eyes squint, "What?"

"Don't apologize for something you did not do," Jeongguk says, pulling out the books and notes from the black backpack,"Never apologize for other's mistakes."

Jeongguk looks at me with a questioning look when he sees the coffee at his side of the table and I return a sweet smile to him, "It's for you and its on me," I say.

He smiles back sweetly this time as if he accepted the small token, nodding his head, "Thank you!" smile getting bigger, mood getting lighter.

"How are you?" He asks suddenly, picking up the coffee glass and bringing the straw to the tip of his lips.

I think about a response for a quiet moment, playing with the straw between my fingers. I smile sweetly, "Well, I am doing good." I am smiling quite a lot today.

He laughs, shaking his head cutely; bunny teeth resting on his lower lip. I stare at him with a huge smile on my lips.

"Your smile is cute," I say genuinely. He stops immediately, gulping down nervously, "T-thank you.." he stutters, opening the book. Cute, as always..