20 The Hospital

POV Jack

No memories back still. I woke up in my bed bunk. I couldn’t sleep well since Kangaroo, I mean Bunny, was snoring on the top bunk whole night. He is Australian and that really confuses me, why does he want to be called Bunny when in his country there are Kangaroos? They even have the handy stomach pouches for their babies. Humm.. Maybe that is why he wants to be Bunny? But bunnies are not that manly either, he must have some personality problems.

Toothiana promised to chat with me today. She had done some research with her computer that probably was one of the few that still worked after everything in the USA had changed after the apocalypse started. I walk on the corridors and I try avoid North’s workers, especially the guy named Phil who dislikes me. I see that Sandy and Tooth are already eating their breakfast. I wave my hand to them and Tooth smiles to me, “You woke up finally!” I laughed, “It is 6am and I woke up just one hour later than you.”

Tooth laughed nervously, “Yeah, I am an early bird.” Sandy smiled and nodded his head in approval. I joined them to eat some military breakfast from a tube, I squeezed some of the sticky substance in my mouth. It didn’t taste good but it would keep my body moving.

After the breakfast we went to Tooth’s room that she shared with Jasmine. They were girls so it figures out. “So, what did you find out?” I asked from her and suddenly she pushed me to sit in front of her desk. She sat on my lap and stared at me, she opened my mouth with her fingers. “I really like your teeth, Jack Overland Frost,” she chirped to me. “W-what?” I tried to push her away put she wrapped her arms around me. “You’re a parkourer from Burgess, your parents are deceased and your sister lives abroad,” Tooth stared me into my eyes. “You had some minor things in your criminal records and that is all I could find out,” she smiles to me.

“Did you find out anything else?” I look at Tooth who giggles, her eyes close slightly and I notice how her arms go around my neck. “You have perfect dental records,” her hand goes to my hair and she leans forward. “H-hey, what are you doing?” I gasped as her face was getting closer to mine. I closed my eyes and then I felt something against my lips. And my cheeks?

A girl screamed, “Toothiana! What are you doing?” It was Jasmine and her hand was between me and Tooth. Did she just try to kiss me? “Sorry about that Jack, she gets all wild when she sees perfect set of teeth,” Jasmine said while pulling frustrated sounds making Tooth away from me. My legs were numb after Tooth had been sitting on my lap. “Geez! You’re even older than him!” Jasmine rolled her eyes, ”And you’re together with Bunny!” Tooth blushed, ”Y-yeah. Sorry about previous Jack!”

Jasmine took my hand and leaded me to her laboratory. “How have you been feeling?” She said while she pointed my eyes with a tiny flashlight. “Great,” I chuckled and she smiled. “Good. Let me take your body temperature and blood sample,” she stuffed a thermometer on my armpit and hit me with a needle. “Ouch! Be careful!” I gasped. The thermometer beeped and she took it out, ”Interesting, your body is much cooler than normal people. I would say that you’re almost like dead. I will test your blood also but it will take hours,” she glanced at me. “But now take your hoodie off and I will take your blood pressure,” she smiled in a calming way and I did what I was told.

“You’re blood pressure is however normal and your heart is beating. Interesting,” Jasmine rubbed her chin. Then she started to pace around the room in her thoughts. “Something wrong?” I asked from her. She sighed, ”I need some more blood samples, not from you but some that are not contaminated but pure from time before the virus spread. And some from those people who had been infected just moments after they got the virus.” I look at her and her desperate expression, she is brushing her black and long hair with her both hands. “Why don’t you just get some?” I chuckled.