26 Entwined and Fighting

POV Anna

I am stuck with Hiccup and others are nowhere to be seen. For couple of days we have been walking in the woods without any realization where we are going. He believes that we are going towards Atlantica where others would go too. He draws maps and takes direction from the sun or the stars. I just wonder if we will ever make it.

He stops suddenly and holds his arm in front of me, “Hush.. There is something behind that old shed.” Hiccup points at a rotten looking shed which has a shovel leaning on its wall. Soon I hear something clattering on the ground, something just pushed the shovel down.

I gasp when I see a zombie limping towards us. We are without weapons still, I take out the largest rock from next to me and I am panting while I watch at the zombie. Slowly it walks closer and closer, groaning and snapping its jaws open and close again. It was once a woman but now she is just a zombie, it is rare to see living people anymore. Her clothes are all torn and smudgy.

“Stay back,” Hiccup says with confident voice. He walks towards the zombie and he kicks it with his metallic leg. Zombie is now laying on the ground and Hiccup walks around it to get the shovel. He lifts the shovel from ground and slams the zombie back to ground after it managed to stood up from previous fall.

Without trace of emotion Hiccup steps on the zombies chest and holds it on ground. He held the shovel with two hands and tried the tip of the shovel on zombies neck. Now I knew what he was up to. He raised the shovel in air and with all of his power he hit the zombie to its neck with the shovel. He grunted when he stuffed the shovel deep until the zombie was beheaded.

Hiccup glares at the shovel and nods. “We must go further,” he tells to me. Hiccup brings the shovel with us and we go forward. “Hey!” I yell to him and he glares at me. “T-there is a house?” I whisper. Hiccup has been tense lately since he got separated from his friends and after what happened with Drago.

“Worth checking out, I guess,” Hiccup shrug his shoulders and we went to that house. We peeked inside from windows to see if the route was clear. It seemed that the house had been empty even before the zombie infection started to spread. The house was like a ghosthouse with worn out paint, creaking floor boards and squeaky doors.

We were alert while we moved inside of the house. “Maybe there is something to eat?” I whisper to Hiccup. He just points to me that I should go to room on the left while he goes right. He is dead serious with his surround checkings.

The room I got was the kitchen. Quickly I go through the cabinets. “Hiccup! I found knives!” I yell to him and then I open new cabinet. “Whoa! And fruit cans!” I squeal in excitement. ”Uh..Hiccup?” I whisper when someone touches my shoulder.

I scream when I turn around and I see teeth closing up on me. A bearded man with torn lip is trying to bite me. He is one of the zombies. “Anna!” I hear Hiccup yelling and running towards me. ”I am here!” I yell while I try to keep the zombie further away from me.

I see Hiccup at the door, “Use one of the knives!” I nod towards the table where I lifted the knife set. Hiccup grabs one and stabs the zombie on its head. The blade goes deep inside its skull and the zombie falls to ground lifeless. “Phew, that was a close one,” I stare at the zombie while my breathing is shallow.

“Don’t yell, they react to sound,” Hiccup whispered. “S-sorry,” I felt embarrassed right now. “Did you find anything?” I whisper to him. “You bet,” he grins and takes a hold of my hand.

He laughs happily while he points at a table. “Umm.. there is some sort of sword, gas bottles, diesel fluid and a lighter? What are you doing with those?” I whisper to him. “Well, they are perfect as individual pieces but I will create something new. Just watch!” He winks his eye and sits on a chair that he pulled closer to the table.