Are You a Boy or are you a Girl?

“Pst…Pst, Jen. Jen, are you awake?” Libby asked, gently shaking her sister awake.

        “Hmm?” Jen groaned.

        “I have something to ask you.”

        “Mhh…what?”

        Libby snickered. “Are you a boy, or are you a girl?”

        Jen looked up into the dark of her room and glared at her sister. “Really, Libby? I’m not in the mood right now.” She growled as she pulled her covers over her head.

        “Jenny, get up! Don’t be a frigg’n Snorlax.” She teased, pulling Jen out of her bed.

        Jen landed with a thud.

        “SHUSH! Jeez, Jen, don’t wake up, mom.” Libby barked softly.

        “Huh?” Jen was starting to wake up a little as she realized how quietly Libby was talking and how all the lights were out.

        “Here’s a hat. All trainers wear hats!” Libby slipped Jen’s fuzzy, cat-earred cap on her head. “AW, so cute!” She cooed as she skipped away to Jen’s closet.

        “Lib…what’s going on?” Jen asked as she watched her older sister run around her room, taking clothes out of her closet and shoving them into a small duffle bag.

        “Good thinking going to sleep in your clothes. Now grab your sleeping bag and follow me, but you must be silent.” There was giddiness in her voice.

        Jen obeyed, mentally questioning her sister’s mental stability, and followed Libby downstairs and outside. Libby slung Jen’s messenger bag over Jen’s shoulder and smiled.

        “I’ve been awaiting the day when you would become a trainer like me, Jenny.” She squealed softly.

        “Lib, you heard mom-”

        “Mom is overreacting. If you don’t go out into the world now, you might as well die a hermit with mom always hovering over you.”

        A small smile crept over Jen’s face. “Thanks, Libby, I owe you…but I don’t have any Pokemon.”

        “Don’t worry, little sister.” Libby smirked. “Just meet me in Viridian City at the Pokemon Center.”

        Jen blinked in bewilderment.

        Libby took out her Fearow and climbed onto its back.

        “Hey, Libby?” Jen asked, suddenly realizing how dark the town was. “Why are all the lights out?”

        Libby shrugged. “Donno. A few minutes after you went to your room there was a blackout. It happened to everyone in town.”

        Jen looked around and grimaced. It felt almost eerie.

        “Hurry up, kay?” Libby giggled as she took off.

        Jen watched as Libby disappeared into the darkness and swallowed nervously. She looked down at her loaded bike and then at her dark house.

        Like Libby had said, it was now or never.

        Jen grabbed her bike and peddled down Route 1.