Just My Luck

Jen looked up to see a Rattata running at her.

        “Oh for the love of--!” Jen complained as she got into a battle stance. “I don’t have time for this.

        The Rattata leapt into the air and Jen instinctively ducked, allowing the Pokemon to land somewhere behind her. Learning from her last experience with a Rattata, Jen spun on her heels and prepared for a fight. What she saw took her breath away.

        Staring back at her were Mewtwo and Mew, who was quickly shifting back into her pink, feline-like form.

        “What?” Mewtwo asked bluntly.

        Jen snapped out of her shock, and, to the Mews’ surprise, continued down the path. She was not in the mood to stick around and see what they were up to, nor did she have the time.

        “Huh…she didn’t try to battle us. Why?” Mew wondered aloud.

        “Because there are two of us and only one of her. She is smart to not engage us in battle.” Mewtwo responded.

        Mew watched Jen, narrowing her eyes as she read the trainer’s mind. “Oh! That poor trainer!” Mew gasped. “Team Rocket captured her Pokemon.”

        Mewtwo sighed. “Then direct her back to Cerulean City. I’m sure the grunts who took her Pokemon are still there.” Mewtwo muttered as he began to leave.

        Mew gasped and flew in front of Jen, stopping the gloomy trainer. “How did you get out from under the ice? You poor, poor trainer.” Mew said sorrowfully, hugging Jen.

        Jen froze. She had no idea how to react to Mew’s act of kindness. “Uh…thank you, but I have to find my Pokemon.” She said as she tried to pry Mew from her arm.

        Mew didn’t let go. “Then I’ll help you find them. Even Mewtwo will help!”

        “Excuse you?” Mewtwo asked curtly. “Since when did I ever agree to helping her?”

        “Well, do you have anything better to do?” Mew shot back.

        Mewtwo looked away, sulking.  As he did so, he saw the lights of multiple Rocket truck heading their way.

         “Mew, come on. We need to leave.” Mewtwo ordered.

        “No, we’re not going to leave her all alone. She needs her Pokemon to protect her from wild Pokemon.” Mew whined, hugging Jen’s arm tighter.

        Mewtwo landed in front of Jen and Mew. He looked mad, and it scared Jen. “We need to go. A band of Team Rocket vehicles is headed this way.” Mewtwo said angrily. “If she is truly without her Pokemon, then they will pass her by.”

        Mew shook her head, releasing Jen, and continued to argue with Mewtwo. Jen, on the other hand, remained silent until she saw the first of the Rocket trucks heading their way. It was only a couple of yards away from them.

        “Um, guys?” Jen squeaked softly.

        The two Mews were still bickering.

        “Guys, Team Ro-” It was no use. The two Legendries weren’t paying her or the trucks any attention as their squabble grew louder and harsher. In fact, it looked like they were about to battle. Jen had to get their attention or hide them before the trucks could get any closer.

        She tapped her side in thought and felt her empty Pokeballs strapped to her waist. Almost immediately an idea came to mind. It was a stupid, yet brilliant, suicidal idea to save the Mews. Unfortunately, she could not think of anyway to enact the plan without leading herself towards a slow, and excruciating doom.

        Taking a deep breath, she grabbed the Pokeballs and threw them at the Mews. Both Pokeballs absorbed the Mews in a red light. Acting as quickly as she could, Jen picked up the shaking Pokeballs and sprinted into the forest.

        Behind her, she could hear the sound of tires on grass and bushes. Team Rocket had seen her capture the Mews, and they wanted them.

        “SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!” Jen thought, as the sound grew closer. The Pokeballs began to break in her fisted hands, cutting deep into her palms.

        Up ahead there was a stream that she could throw the Pokeballs into, but she was too far away and her throwing was poor. Another idea came to mind and she prayed that the Mews would run the second they were freed.

        Being as inconspicuous as possible, she threw the Pokeballs as far into the darkened forest as she could, and ‘tripped’ over a tree root.

        “Damn it!” She cried in the best-panicked tone she could muster. She tried crawling away on her hands and knees, but she didn’t get very far. A large boot slammed itself down on her back.

        “Where do you think you’re going?” An all to familiar voice sneered.

        “Well, I’ll be! If it isn’t my good ole buddies, Lacy and Clara! Long time no see. How’s your head, Clara?” Jen asked sarcastically.

        Another boot slammed against her back. “I wouldn’t be cracking jokes right now. We just might crack open your skull.” Clara growled.

        Jen laughed. “Puny! Word gets around rather quickly with you guys. What’s your secret? I’ve gotta know.”

        “Walkie-Talkies. Duh.” Lacy answered absent-mindedly.

        “Lacy, you idiot, shut up!”

        “Where are the Mews?” This voice was new, and masculine. The grunt to which it belonged to was the one who had her fixed under his boot.

        “Mews? Go ask a kitty-cat. They’ll mew all day long for you.” Jen giggled.

        The next thing she saw was Clara’s boot swinging directly into her side. The female grunt continued to do this multiple times until she could hear and see Jen cry.

        “YEEOOW!” Jen shrieked as she bit back some of her tears.

        The boot moved off of Jen as Clara grabbed her by the wrist and pinned Jen up against a tree. “Where the Hell are the Mews?”

        Jen didn’t answer.

        Clara punched her in the side and Jen groaned. “Answer me!”

        Jen glared at her and spit in her face. Clara didn’t flinch. “Luxray!”

        Her powerful Pokemon strode over to her and snickered. “Where is your Gastly now, trainer?”

        Jen grimaced. She remembered how painful Luxray’s thunder shock was.

        “Tell us what you did with them.” Lacy barked as she summoned her Zangoose.

        Jen still didn’t answer.

        “Search her.” The male grunt ordered.

        Lacy ripped Jen’s bag from her and turned it inside out. Everything fell from her bag, such as her remaining articles of clothing and Ash’s gifts. Lacy and Zangoose began searching through her things and opening empty Pokeballs.

        “Nothing in her bag.” Lacy reported.

        “And nothing on her.” Clara scoffed after searching Jen. “What should we do with her?”

        The male grunt shrugged and walked back to the truck. “Don’t care. Do whatever you want with her.”

        Clara and Lacy grinned at Jen. Their smiles look absolutely wicked in the shadow of the forest.

        “Luxray,” Clara cooed, the desire for vengeance could be heard in her singsong words. “Use thunder shock.”