Pewter's Gym Leader, Flint

Jen immediately sat up in bed with a start and glanced at the clock. It was 10:45.

        “Was that…a dream?” She asked aloud.

        Vulpix looked up at her from where it was cuddled under her arm. Gastly lay on the pillow next to her, still fast asleep.

        “Perhaps we can try the gym in a few minutes?” She asked her tired Pokemon.

        Vulpix yawned in response and jumped down from the bed.

        “Yeah, you’re right. We have better face the gym leader before my mom starts hunting us down.”

        Jen quickly shuffled through her bag for her clothes and food for her Pokemon. After laying out two bowls of PokeChow for them, she quickly got dressed in the bathroom. While Jen got dressed, Vulpix hopped onto the bed and nudged Gastly awake. The ghost Pokemon groaned and rolled over onto its side. Annoyed, Vulpix head-butted Gastly off of the bed.

        “Yeeaa!” It cried.

        Jen froze at the sound of its cry. It wasn’t supposed to say anything, but its name, right? “Odd. I must be hearing things.”

        She noticed her Pokedex sitting on the nightstand and picked it up. She scanned her two Pokemon and listened to her Pokémon’s bio.

        Vulpix: The fire fox Pokémon. At birth, Vulpix has only one white tail, which apparently splits and grows more beautiful and warmer as it grows older. Vulpix also has a flame constantly burning inside its body.

        Gastly: the ghost Pokémon. It has the capability to topple an Indian Elephant within two seconds by enveloping it within its poisonous gas. On rare occasions a gastly can possess the ability to speak like a human and transform.

        “Cool.”

        A moment later, she marched to the door and turned about-face to her Pokemon. “Alright you guys, whose ready to go claim our first gym badge?”

        Her Pokemon cheered as she led them out of the Center and to the gym. It seemed much larger now that the sun had completely risen.

Noticing her hesitation, Gastly nudged her forward. Vulpix looked up at her curiously.

        “Alright. Let’s do this.” She said as she opened the doors.

        The inside of the gym looked more like a rocky quarry. Jen slowly walked farther into the dimly lit gym with her Pokemon, and looked around for the gym leader.

        “Hello?” Jen called. Her voice seemed to echo off the rocky terrain.

        Something, or rather someone, moved on top of a platform carved out of a boulder a little ways away from her. The figure stood and walked towards her with a grin on his face.

        “Welcome to the Pewter Gym. I am Flint, Brock’s father. I’m standing in as gym leader for Brock. Hope you don’t mind.” Flint said in a gravely voice.

        “That’s alright, sir.” Jen said with an awkward laugh.

        Flint grinned at her and held up a Pokeball. “So, you ready to battle?”

        Jen shook herself back into focus and nodded eagerly.

        “Geodude, I choose you!” Flint cried as he summoned the muscular, rock Pokemon. “Alright, kiddo, who are you going to chose first?”