The Trials

Red and Blastoise were lined up at the start line with the four other teams. He was riding in a red chariot while Blastoise waded anxiously in the water. Red glanced up at the bridge that represented the start to see all of his friends staring down at him.

        “Go fast, Red!” Jen cried.

        Pikachu, Haunter, and Vulpix cheered something, but unlike Jen, Red could not understand them. Red smiled and gave them a quick wave.

        Blastoise, however, was glaring at a Feraligatr that was wading next to them. His Pokemon growled something at the Pokemon.

        Red whistled and kicked the chariot. Blastoise looked over his shoulder. “What’s wrong?” He signed.

        “This hotheaded ass wasn’t saying some very nice things about you or your cousin.” He muttered, shooting the Feraligatr another dark glare.

        Red snuck a peek at his friends. N looked disappointed, while Jen looked shocked. Both Red and Jen’s Pokemon were screaming something at the Feraligatr, but when his gaze drifted towards Mewtwo, he shuddered with fear. Even with his mask hiding most of his face, Mewtwo’s anger could still be seen.

        “Chariot racers, are you ready?” The announcer called from the top of the bridge. “On your mark…get set…GO!”

        Red’s chariot lunged forward as Blastoise dove through the water. Blastoise really wanted to beat the rude Pokemon.

        Red clung to the handle of the rope that was tied around Blastoise as his Pokemon tore down the channel. He dared a peek over his shoulder to see the Feraligatr and its trainer right behind them. The other three teams were right behind them.

        Blastoise took a quick left down a narrow alleyway, almost knocking Red off of his chariot. The Feraligatr followed, and, to Red’s surprise and horror, shot out of the water and snapped at him. It was trying to attack him!

        Red stomped on the chariot as quickly and as loudly as he could. Blastoise picked up the pace just as the Feraligatr jumped out of the water again, and snapped at Red’s cape.

        Its teeth clamped down onto Red’s cape and dragged him to his knees. If it wasn’t for his death grip on the rope, he would have been underwater. Red quickly ripped his cape off his shoulder and crawled to the front of the chariot.

        Blastoise took off even faster in hopes to get Red as far away from the Pokemon as possible. The Feraligatr leapt again and time seemed to slow down as Red stared in horror into the Pokémon’s open mouth. A vivid flashback of fighting BuriedAlive shot through his mind.

        He was standing next to his tired Charizard. They had just defeated the last of BuriedAlive’s Pokemon, but the ghoul was not finished with them. It clawed at the ground and then at its abdomen as it ripped itself in half. Red shuddered and stood in between the demonic creature and his Pokemon.

        BuriedAlive howled as it tore itself from the lower half of its carcass and crawled after him with inhuman speed. Red ran towards the ghoul and kicked BuriedAlive in the head. The creature flinched at the attack and growled at Red. It grabbed Red by the throat and lifted him into the air.

        Red kicked and clawed at its arm, but it was no use. Red’s eyes widened in terror as BuriedAlive pulled him towards its open mouth. Its rotting and sharp teeth glistened as Red was brought closer to its mouth.

        Blastoise took a sharp right down another channel just as the Feraligatr was about to clamp its teeth into Red. Red blinked and shook his head. Blastoise swam for a couple more yards before taking a left.