The Hero Ball

Jen marched back to the costume rental store to return her outfit and leave Rota. She was not going to the ball no matter what happened. She despised dances and dresses.

        “Jen, why can’t we go to the ball?” Vulpix asked as she raced along side Jen.

        “You guys can go if you want and hang out with Red and his Pokemon. I’m just going to try and find the Mews. I am not going to that stupid dance.”

        “Hello.” The store clerk said happily. “Are you here to rent a dress for the Hero Ball?”

        Jen stopped and stared at him. “No. I’m here for my clothes. I left them here awhile ago.” She and Red had to leave their clothes at the store while they went about the town in their costumes.

        “Name please?”

        “Jen Marx.”

        The store clerk nodded and searched for her clothes. “Ms. Marx, are you sure you didn’t reserve a dress for tonight?”

        “Reserved? I didn’t reserve anything. I just want my clothes back.”

        The store clerk returned and cocked his head to the side. “Okay. Um, here are your clothes, and here is the dress.” He handed her her clothes in a bag and lifted up the dress.

        Jen did a double take of the dress. The dress was white with the exception of a few blue laces that lined the sides and sleeves of the dress. It also came with a blue stoned belt, and a silver circlet.

        “Do you want me to put the dress away?” The store clerk asked after a moment of silence.

        “N-No. I’ll take it, thank you. Can you hold onto my clothes for a little while longer?” She asked handing him back the bag.

        “With pleasure.” He replied as he handed her the dress and replaced her clothes in the back.

        Jen slowly walked up the stairs and into the changing rooms with Vulpix and Haunter in tow.

        “What’s with the sudden change of mind, master?” Haunter asked as he and Vulpix waited for her.

        “Hush! She’s getting dressed. Don’t question her…uh…Jen-ness.” Vulpix said quickly. She was really happy that Jen was potentially going to the Hero Ball.

        “What do you guys think?” Jen asked as she walked out of the changing room.

        Haunter’s eyes widened and Vulpix grinned.

        “Very pretty, Jen! Are there shoes to go along with it?”

        Jen lifted the bottom of her dress to reveal silver high heels. “I hate heels…” She groaned.

        “How about you wear the Ranger boots to the palace and then wear the heels at the dance?” Haunter suggested.

        Jen looked down at the heels and nodded. “I like that idea.”

        “Alright, you can wear your boots, but the second we get to the dance, Haunter, I want you to take them and hide them. I don’t want you wearing them for the whole entire night, Jen.” Vulpix sighed. “Now, can we go to the ball, please?”

        The ballroom was filled with locals and trainers dressed in noble costumes. Jen swallowed hard as she looked around at all the dancers.