Twenty Eight

After breakfast the next morning, Raelynn dragged Grey outside without telling him where they were going or what they were doing. She wasn't wearing a dress which was unusual for her, as well as high boots and a white button up shirt, her brown hair braided.

"Come on slowpoke." she said as she ran across the grass, dragging Grey behind her.

"Where are we going?" he asked as he was being pulled by the arm by Rae.

"You'll find out." is what Rae would reply with every time he asked.

"Why won't you tell me?"

"Becauseeeeeee there's no fun in that." Rae smiled at him.

"For all I know you're dragging me to the woods to kill me"

"Oh wouldn't that be a twist." Rae laughed.

"Especially after what we admitted last night." he said, rushing forward to kiss her cheek and then went back to trailing behind her.

"Yeah I know I know." Rae said and slowly came to a stop in front of the stables.

"What is this?" Grey asked.

"It's a stable." Rae explained. "Where we keep horses."

"I've never seen a horse before"

"I guessed you wouldn't have, but that's why I brought you here." Rae smiled, walking into the little wooden building. Grey smiled and followed her. His eyes widened. Rae took hold of his hand and pulled him along. "This is my mother's horse, Maximus." she said, stroking the horse's nose. The horse glared at Grey. "It's okay Max, he's a friend. Well... boy friend." Max huffed but cheered up when Rae gave him an apple. "He's... protective."

"He's huge..." Grey gulped.

"He's a big sweetheart, just perhaps a bit threatening." Rae said, hugging onto Maximus.

"A bit? He knows exactly who I am." Grey took a step back.

"Yeah he's a smart horse... sometimes." She mumbled the last part. She turned to Max and comforted him. "Don't worry, Grey is fine. He's not evil." the horse neighed. "You won't be riding him anyway." Rae lead Grey to another, brown horse. "This is Citron." the horse was a lot calmer.

"Still big." Grey commented.

"Well what else do you expect?"

"Well they don't look his huge over a crappy tv screen."

"Yeah I know but you'll get used to it." Rae walked behind a door and threw something that looked basically like a black bowl at Grey. "Put this on." she said as she put it on her head and tightened the strap around her chin.

"On my head?" he questioned.

"Yeah, I don't see where else you could even put it." Rae nodded.

"On the horse?" He said, putting it on, but didn't fasten it.

"I don't think the horse needs a helmet." she laughed and walked over to him and fastened up the buckle and tightened the helmet.

"So how do you do this?" Grey asked, looking up at the horse. Rae opened the gate and slowly lead Citron out of his pen and out of the stable.

"Okay, this might be difficult for the first time but you'll be fine. So you hold the reins in your hand like this." she showed him. "Then you position the stirrup, which is this little buckle thing here." she gently kicked a metal thing that was swinging at the horse's side. "And put your left foot on it." she demonstrated. "Then you use your right hand to grab this part here." she grabbed the hump of the saddle. "You use your right leg to push yourself up, like this," she did so. "Then move your right hand up to grasp the reins, and then swing your free leg over the saddle and to the other side. And then sit." Rae was sat perfectly on the horse. She then jumped off and stroked the horse's nose. "I'll help you where you need it." Grey tried imitating her action but ended up on the floor with his foot stuck in the stirrup.