Forty Eight

Rae's eyes opened slowly. It was dark again. She looked down to see herself tied up in chains.

"H-hello?" she called out.

"You're awake." A masculine voice said, followed by heavy footsteps.

"Who's there?" she questioned uncertainly. A figure appeared, and a spotlight turned on, revealing Greyson. "Grey! I'm so happy to-" he cut her off by holding a knife to her throat.

"Don't make this harder on me." he growled.

"W-what?" Rae started to shake. "B-but Grey... I-I lo-"

"You what? Love me?" he laughed. "Well, flower." he leaned towards her, pressing the knife to her throat even more. "News flash." he slid the knife along, grazing her throat. He whispered in her ear. "I never loved you."

"W-what?" Rae winced because of the knife, tearing up.

"Let's be real here flower." Grey continued to whisper. "Who could ever love you?"

--

Rae's eyes opened, she jolted upright instantly, breathing heavily. Excruciating pain ran through her body. She looked around... it wasn't dark or gloomy, it was... bright. A hospital room? She barely acknowledged her surroundings, she was still trying to recover from her nightmare. She looked around to see Cecilia and her mother, and found a bit of comfort in just seeing they were there.

"Oh my god, you're awake!" Ceci squealed. Rapunzel hugged her daughter.

"Stop getting sent to the hospital please."

"W-what?" Rae looked around, taking deep breaths. "W-where's Grey?" she asked. Ceci and Rapunzel exchanged a look. "Where is he?" Rae asked again.

"Sweetie..." Rapunzel started. "He never came back..." Rae's eyes widened and a million questions ran through her head.

"W-what? What do you mean he never came back? He was in the car..."

"He got out after kissing you..." Ceci said.

"What?!" Rae exclaimed, her eyes darting to Ceci. "And you let him stay?!"

"We didn't have a choice." came Evie's voice from the doorway. "You needed medical treatment and Maleficent was coming after us. He was refusing to come and he decided to fend her off." Mal also followed Evie into the room.

"And you left him to deal with Maleficent on his own?!" Rae raised her voice. "For all we know he could be..." her breath caught in her throat and she trailed off.

"Like Evie said, we had no choice..." Mal sighed. "We tried. We threw him in the car. But he was determined to stay."

"B-but why?" Rae questioned, her eyes filling with tears. "Why didn't he want to come back? I don't understand..."

"Why do you think?" Rapunzel asked. Rae felt her heart shatter.

"He thinks it's his fault... doesn't he?" Ceci and Evie nodded. Rae said nothing and tears started to roll down her cheeks. She paused.

"He doesn't love me." she said quietly.

"What?" Ceci questioned. "He does, it's obvious!"

"He doesn't." Rae shook her head. "He didn't come back... because he still loves you. But you can't be together. And he can't face me." she looked up at Mal.

"What?" Mal exclaimed. "No, no no. What gave you that idea?"

"I saw the picture..." Rae mumbled.

"Rae... that was friendly... I gave him a pep talk. I promise you there's nothing going on between us. It's all the past." Mal said reassuringly.

"It was taken the day you were taken to the hospital, after you passed out. He needed air and moral support." Evie added.

"You should've seen him when he found out you were gone. He literally made a search party." Ceci commented.

"Still..." Rae paused, her nightmare rushing back to her. 'Who could ever love you?' Grey's voice echoed in the back of her mind.

"Listen to me Raelynn Fitzherbert." Rapunzel snapped her out of it. "That boy went back to the Isle for you. He faced Mother Gothel and Maleficent to get you out of there. He stayed back for you to get away. He faced everything for you to get out of there and whatever those bitches told you isn't true. Grey loves you, even I saw it in the time you two were staying with me," she said, surprising her daughter with her words. Rae slowly nodded and took a deep breath.

"I love him... I really do. I love him and I want to tell him that. I need to get him back. No matter what it takes, even with a broken ankle... I'll do it." she said firmly. "I need to get him back. I need to tell him that I love him."

"There's a small problem..." Ceci said, fiddling with her hands. "We don't know where he is."

"I'll find him... I don't care..." Rae shook her head. "He went through so much to find and rescue me, I need to find him."

"Good thing your injuries weren't too bad and you can leave... on crutches." Ceci said. "We just don't know where to begin." At that moment, a very sweaty Jay and Carlos burst into the room. Everyone's head turned to Jay and Carlos.

"Are you guys okay?" Mal questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"We-" Carlos panted. "We know where he is."