Chapter 4

The doorway leads to a cold and echoey cement hall as I follow Dean and Sam inside. The corridor opens to a balcony, looking down on a warmly lit room. A group of people are seated at a map printed table below, laughing and drinking as they open up small boxes of chinese food. A wiry metal staircase leads down to them and Dean calls a greeting as we head down.
As we reach the bottom, a blonde woman dressed much like Sam and Dean stands up to join him. She embraces Dean and then Sam, and finally Castiel, it's as if she hasn't seem them in weeks. Somehow I remain undetected by the group, hiding in Sam's shadow.
"How was the hunt?" a bearded man with a warm demeanor stands up and grabs some beers from a box on the floor. They exchange stories as I awkwardly slip out from behind Sam and drop my things onto the worn cement floor where I hope nobody will trip on them.
"Who's she?" I freeze in my tracks as a younger guy eyes me with suspicion. He begins to extend his hand-like a psychic in a bad movie-but Cas grabs it and lowers it.
"Jack. She's good, don't worry." The room falls silent and the hunters exchange looks awaiting a proper introduction.
"This is Viv." Sam nudges me forward and I extend a hand. The bearded guy and blonde lady exchange a look but the psychic boy takes it and shakes.
"I'm Jack."
"Uh, satan's son?"
I ask and the smile falls from his face, replaced by a shadow of anger.
"my dad was a king of hell actually, so now people want me dead. We're in a similar boat you know?"
I smile and shrug, trying to gain his favor,
"it's okay. He was good-ish. I am too, I'm just here hiding"
Finally, Blondie speaks up
"you're Crowley's daughter?"
I nod, semi-enthusiastically and re-extend my palm, which she kindly takes,
"Mary Winchester. I'm their mother" she gestures to Sam and Dean with her free hand. As Mary steps back, the
bearded guy steps up and shakes my hand.
"I'm Bobby Singer. Refugee from the other world, although I dunno if these idjits filled you in on that yet."
I continue pretending everything is normal as the hunters sit at the table to finish their food. Chatter fills the room once again as Sam and Dean join and guide me to a seat over by Castiel
"so, where's your mother?" Mary inquires as she hands me a plate of food. Dean shoots her a look as I respond,
"she's dead" it's a casual conversation point nowadays, so I shrug nonchalantly, much to the astonishment of Jack, seated across the table.
Bobby tips his beer towards me in a gesture to catch my attention,
"So why are you here again?"
I'm not totally sure how to respond so I state blankly at my food, attempting to form an eloquent response. However,
Dean speaks up for me.
"we owe her dad and he told Viv's mother she'd be safe with us, so here we are. Anybody else got questions, Or can I eat in peace?" The group quietly murmurs before splitting back into their little conversations.
Jack sits up straight and stretches, beaming at absolutely nothing. He's actually kinda cute. As I finish eating, Cas pats him on the back,
"Why dont you show her around the bunker" he suggests and Jack nods excitedly.

After a long tour of the bunker, we reach a curved hallway, wooden doors lining the walls.
"that's my room, next to Sam's, that's Dean's and that one belongs to Cas"
Jack then gestures toward the next room down the hall.
"this can be yours!" he opens the door to a comfy little room.
There's a well-made bed and two little bed-side tables beside it. I drop my bag at the foot of the bed and examine the little individual bathroom beside the doorway. We switch off the light and I follow Jack back to the table
Both Cas and Dean are gone but Sam reads a book as Bobby and Mary clean up the dinner garbage. Jack goes behind my seat and pulls a book from the shelf,
Alice's adventures in Wonderland.
"it's a great literary work."
He hands me the worn copy and I laugh
"how old are you?" I'm only teasing, but Jacks face clouds over with deep thought.
"386 days, 21 hours and 47 minutes."
"you're only a year old?"
He looks confused by my shock,
"yes? I had to grow up fast, I was thrown into a very dangerous world and so I couldn't be a child for long"
I pretend this makes sense and nod, throwing my best acting cap on in hopes that I dont make him uncomfortable.
"how old are you?" He asks, trying his best to move the conversation along.
"19." I advert my eyes and examine the blue worn book in my hands.
"Sam and Dean told me that if anyone asks, I'm twenty, so we're pretty close right?" he smiles and I can spot the child-like spark in his eyes. Dean and Castiel suddenly appear simultaneously, both from the direction of the kitchen.
"hey kid, how do you like the bunker?" Dean plops onto a rolling chair.
"it's nice, I should turn in though." I stifle a yawn.
"really? It's only ten" Sam asks, finally looking up from the leather bound novel he had been thumbing through.
"yeah well, I'm exhausted."
Dean nods, as I turn to my new room,
"okay kiddo. Target practice after breakfast tomorrow. I'll teach you how to shoot." I give him a nod and what seems like an appropriate response,
"Alright, g'night"