Chapter 24

The warehouse doesn't seem to be far from a small town and I walk alongside a road, rain drenching pavement below me. I begin to get cold in only my black tank and leggings, my black suede boots starting to make my heels hurt as they clip across the dark Stones. I continue walking, sore as the sun begins to rise behind the thick rain clouds. The road is empty until a large, four-seater truck comes along, loud boy-band music cascading from inside. It slows to a still next to me and a blonde woman, presumably in her mid-30s opens the drivers side window.
"sweetie! you really shouldn't be out in such terrible weather. Do you want a ride ?" her eyes are warm with sympathy and she gestures to the empty passengers seat beside her. Unarmed and weak, my judgement seems to fail as I nod, limping into the seat beside her. A little gurgle comes from the back seat as we speed off and I spin around to see a chubby cheeked baby grinning at me.
"hold old is... " I trail off, realizing I don't know the gender.
"She's 7 months." the mother smiles, her eyes glued to the road,
"now how in the name of Jesus did you end up in the woods at this time? It's hunting season, you could have gotten seriously hurt." I carefully spin a lie as we travel along.
"well, you see,  I was living with my mother until she died about a year ago." I sigh,
"I wanted to find my dad because he moved once they divorced and I had his address on a letter I received as a child. I took a greyhound bus to the next town over, but it broke down and I couldn't afford to book a new one. I'm headed for his home but I lost the letter in the storm last night." her head was turned to me now, golden eyes beaded with sadness.
"oh my, sweetheart" she turns the music down and I realize the southern drawl tinting her voice. Where the hell is this?
"that wouldn't have been too long of a walk I suppose, but where were you all night?" she sincerely asks while handing a toy to her gurgling baby girl.
"I stopped in a warehouse. The man working there was kind enough to shelter me from the storm." she slowly nodded.
"okay, where do you want me to drop you off?" she asks and I suck in a slow breath, trying my hardest not to make a mistake. Suddenly a sign comes into view, the town of Basking Valley. Wait. I know someone here.
"uh, where would be convenient for you? " I inquire.
"how bout city center? I'm taking my baby girl to the nurse for a check up so it would be just right." she softly asks and I nod. We pull into a bustling town with rusty trucks and old boat cars lining the dusty streets and she stops next to a empty park.
"thank you so much." I smile and she pulls a flannel from the pile of clothing beside her.
"don't get sick now honey." she tosses it to me and winks as I slide in one last comment before closing the car door.
"your daughter's lucky to have such a great mother.".
I throw on the blue flannel and grin. Sam and Dean would be so proud that the first thing I've worn since being reincarnated is plaid.