Chapter 46

Its been a couple days since Christmas and after dinner, Sam took Rowena into the back room for a private chat. Mae sits emotionless in the corner while I curl up into Jack's side, biting my nails in worry. Dean is pacing angrily ranting while Cas tries to calm him down.
"Look, why can't she stay here? Its one more kid, I don't see the issue. The more help we have the better right? and-" cas quietly interjects.
"Dean, can you please calm down?" Dean's voice only rises.
"Im not gonna calm down! My brother thinks this is a fucking good idea. She might die! We brought her here to protect her, not finish her off ourselves! I can't believe him, almost like he has no soul or some bullshit!"
And that's when Sam and Rowena enter. Great timing, I know.
"for your information Dean, I do have a soul and I'm just trying to do what's best for Maeve. So if you don't mind calming down, we came to a conclusion." Sam is gritting his teeth and Dean mutters under his breath,
"a conclusion my ass."
Softly grasping Dean's arm, his fiancee leads him to the leather chair and sits on the arm next to him.
"Sam told me what's going on."
Rowena pauses.
"and although it could be a hazard to Maeve's health, I believe that in the long run it could be a good idea. So we plan to begin the procedure tomorrow. Then it'll be finished by Dean and Castiel's wedding."
We all begin to protest at once,
"But she could-"
"Sam how could you fucking dare?!"
"babe, calm down-"
"Why are you going through with this?!"
The angry shouts halt and i shut my mouth when Mae herself clears her throat.
"Look I appreciate that you all care so much but if they think this is a good idea, then I want to go through with it. If i die, so be it. The time I've spent here has been fun anyway, I'm grateful for whatever time I have left."
That about shuts everyone up.
Except Dean.
"But Mae," he weakly says and Cas places a hand on his shoulder. Suddenly, I realize how exhausted Dean looks. He nods and practically whispers,
"okay."
Cas gently kisses him on the forehead. Meanwhile, in complete contrast to the right side of me, Sam and Rowena, to my left are all business.
"We have a spare room if you'd rather stay here than the motel you've booked."
"Hotel, darling. And I'll get my things. At most this will take a few days."
And on that note, Sam is walking Rowena to the garage to drive her back. Dean is still leaned on Cas and Jack slowly stands. I fall off his shoulder and slump against the couch, grunting as my back slams against the arm of  the couch. Craning my neck, I go to talk to Mae and find she's disappeared. No longer in the room. Jack returns, carrying a case of beer. Passing one to each of us, we all solemnly drink.
"15." I mutter and everyone looks up.
"what?" Dean
"when I was 15. I was worried about whether or not i got an A on my science test. I was worried about if the girl I liked was going to text me back. I definitely was never in a life or death situation. But Mae.." my voice trails off as I try my hardest to conceal the tears prickling.
"She'll be Ok. Don't worry Viv." Jack rubs soothing circles on my back.
"But you don't know that."