Chapter 44

Its been nearly five weeks since the engagement dinner and Rowena is still, 'considering' going through with Mae's treatment. Meanwhile, Mary, Bobby and Charlie are busy bustling about with chatter about wedding planning. Everyone had been completely accepting, Bobby was confused, and Mary asking why it took so long. While everyone has been wrapped up in the chaos, Jack and I managed to go out and buy some christmas decorations. We daintily hang some mistletoe by the main hall and hang garland on the stair railing. A couple miniature christmas trees are placed at the ends of separate bookshelves and right next to the telescope is a big tree we chopped down in the woods and snuck in with Bobby's help. It's Christmas Eve and i have wrapped gifts hidden under my bed for everyone. A set of feather and ink pens for Castiel, a cashmere sweater for Rowena, a pop of Spock for Charlie, a recipe book of pies and a bottle of Crown for Dean, a stuffed moose and a laptop bag for  Sam and a pair of fresh hiking boots with a secret gift inside for Jack. We all pooled our money to buy an acoustic guitar for Maeve after she mentioned her love of music and it sits hidden in the weaponry until Christmas Day.
I mentally account for all the gifts while i make my way down the snow sprinkled trail. A fluffy red scarf my mum bought me for christmas is the only thing keeping me warm in a typical leather jacket and t-shirt. The snow falls into my hair leaving flakes sparkling between the ebony strands. A sudden burst of wind starts as i near the bunker and I'm actually freezing by the time i get inside. My fingers are all wrinkly and my whole hands are red, and shaky. As I warm up in my room I prepare for tonight's dinner. Another tradition Mae inspired is Christmas Eve fondue. She mentioned once that her grandmother used to make cheese fondue for her family to eat at dinner and so at 5:45, we gather around the table in the kitchen, a platter of raw vegetables, fruits and bread  spread across in front of us. Tonight it's just Cas, Mae, Dean, Sam, Jack and I. Rowena and Charlie will arrive tomorrow.
"okay guys."
Mae catches everyone's attention.
"If your food falls into the cheese, you kiss whoever sits on your left. If it falls on the table, you kiss the person to your right. Deal?"
And with that, the meal begins. Dean accidentally drops his bread piece into the fondue with a loud
'plop'
And he blushes, leaning over and roughly kissing Castiel's lips before breaking out in a wide grin. Mae drops her pear slice in and leans over, leaving a soft kiss on my cheekbone. When it comes to Jacks second piece of cauliflower, his hand wavers and we all see the vegetable piece hanging barely. Being the person to his right, i hope he makes it to his plate but just as he lifts it away from the pot, the cauliflower falls, bouncing against the pot rim and falling to the table. He slowly cranes his neck to look over at me and i raise my eyebrow as he turns beet red. Jack leans over to give me a kiss on the Cheek but i swerve and our lips briefly meet. He immediately sits straight back up and calmly returns to eating but Castiel coughs, choking on a piece of fruit he swallowed too soon in shock. After Dinner we all go back to the main hall. Sam shows Mae some of the lore while Dean looks around at the decorations. He pauses, oblivious to the mistletoe above him as Cas enters and Jack suddenly sits up, slamming his book against the table.
"Mistletoe!" he yelps, and Cas and Dean make eye contact before Dean wraps his arms around Cas's waist and Castiel's hands fly up to cup Dean's face as they kiss, the love just gushing from each of them. Its sickening but simultaneously adorable and I hold back from dramatically clutching my heart, and making a scene. A couple peaceful hours pass before I slip into my room and climb under the covers for sleep, the warm blanket engulfing me. As I drift off, I smile, grateful for the  new family i can spend the holidays with.