Chapter 40

When I get up, its 10:00. Getting dressed I slip out of my room, a pair of flats dangling from my fingers and the cold cement tingling on my bare feet. Sneaking into the main room, I turn off the mechanical wardings and teleport to Gallachien Pizzeria in a small town of northern Texas. My mum and I lived here for a couple years and I used to buy pizza here on my way home from odd jobs. Letting myself in I can smell the fresh pies being baked. During the waiting time, i run to a nearby shop and pick up a couple pairs of pants and some  shirts that were on sale. After that I collect my barbeque chicken pizza and teleport back to the bunker, turning the wardings back on. As soon as I think I'm in the clear, I hear a soft voice that makes me jump.
"Better not let Dean catch you with that. He can eat two full pies without hesitation." Sam gives me a shit-eating grin. I hide the food in my room and grab a laptop for movies. Once that's all finished, I make my way through the winding bunker tunnels and to the hospital room where Mae was being kept. I knock and no reply comes so i sneak in, finding a strangely wound Mae sound asleep, drool dripping from her chin.
"Mae?" i call from across the room, expecting no reply when she sits up straight, wiping her chin.
"Morning!" she yawns and I grin
"you must be a light sleeper." she nods and I invite her to my room to utilize the shower and borrow some clothes. Little does she know, I have a surprise up my sleeve. When Mae comes from the shower, she wears a pair of jeans I picked up this morning and a Army green long-sleeve I bought this morning
"Thanks for the clothes. " she smiles, exposing tiny dimples in her pale, slightly round cheeks.
"anytime. Now, you want any brunch?" she grins at my suggestion and lies down beside me as i open up the pizza box.
"I was wondering, Is everything good between you and Jack?" she pops the question as i dish us each up some pizza.
"Why on earth would you wonder about that?" i pause and realize how forced that had sounded. I love him, I really do. But the gash left in my trust with him still stings as it slowly heals.
"Well," Mae gulps
"I probably shouldn't be telling you this, but last night, I couldn't sleep. I wanted to see if anyone was up so I stuck my head out into the main hall. Cas was standing next to Jack, whose eyes were all red and puffy and he seemed really serious. I only heard a couple words: ' This is about Vivianne isn't it.' and 'it'll be Okay. Ill give you some space." Mae pauses to take a bite of pizza.
"Before I could go see if he was alright, Jack broke out in tears. He clamped his own hand over his mouth trying not to let out any sobs and it really hurt to watch. But I couldn't do anything, he's a stranger."
She finishes her first piece and swallows as i ponder what's going on.
Slowly nodding, it's my turn to ask something.
"So, Mae, what was your life like back home? If- uh- you don't mind me asking." she grabs another piece and rolls onto her back on my bed, sprawled out and staring at the ceiling.
"well, my family was okay. Dad was never around and my brother has anger management issues. Before she got checked into the mental ward, my mum was kinda critical and mean. As for friends, i got along with a lot of people at my school, but i doubt most of them miss me." she trails off before whispering to herself,
"Kinda wanna call Simon though"
And she shajes her head, realising I'm there.
"What about you? What was your life like before you cane here?"
Mae's eyes are wide with curiosity and proper colour is finally spreading across her complexion.
"well, my mom and I used to move lots and I had friends at a few different schools. I never graduated, my mom died a week before i was supposed to and i probably wouldn't have had enough credits because of moving anyway. Don't regret much though, I found Sam, Dean and Cas at a motel because they knew my father, but he's dead. I joined their team and haven't looked back."
Soft worry lines crease at her forehead.
"You didn't graduate?" she asks, and it hits me. Sam wants her to go to high school and not to miss out.
"yeah..." i try to phrase my words without sounding judgemental
"umm, Mae if you stay here you can't go to school anymore. You know that right?" She nods,
"I realize that already. Not sure if Dean does though. I think i'd rather be cured from the torture and if that's impossible, I can at least learn how to properly walk again without using a human crutch." she lets out a forced laugh and i nod along, remembering we are supposed to be meeting the Winchesters. As if on cue, Dean's outrageously loud knocking pounds against the door, his voice booming through the thick wood.
"Mae? Viv?"
Springing from my spot, I rush to let him in and he sneaks past me, stealing a piece of pizza.
"How did you manage to sneak these in?" i raise an eyebrow at him
"teleportation". I state and he rolls his eyes,
"You can Teleport?!" i turn to see that Mae's eyes are starry and upon seeing her, Dean's face breaks out in a smile.
"Morning Mae!"
"I talked to Cas and he can heal your wounds, but we still want to examine the injection scars. Is that ok?" asks Dean. Mae merely nods.
"Now, we'd like to test your powers, so if you don't mind, follow me." he requests. Shutting away the pizza, i catch up to Dean, who is giving Mae the bunker tour on their way to the weapons hall. Finally reaching the room, Dean holds the door for Mae and myself and the three of us match up with Sam's stale eye-contact. This could get interesting.