Chapter 28

I wake up and roll over. I didn't want to leave until I was sure Jude was okay so I've hung around town for an extra day . It's already 9am but Jude's bedroom door remains closed. Tying my hair up, I head up the stairs and drag myself into the kitchen. Ethelyn is mixing something on a pot in the the stove.
"Good morning Vivianne" she turns and smiles as I approach her.
"uh, good morning. What are you making?" I stare into the pot which she continues to stir. A mirror-like reflective liquid is steaming and Ethelyn turns off the burner.
"a potion for remedying memory loss. The neighbour has been suffering from dementia though she's only in her sixties. I suppose this could help her out." I nod as she reaches into a cupboard full of jars. I've always admired Ethelyn's love for helping people.
"I was wondering if you might be interested in a certain potion I've had lying around." she hands me a cold jar and I slowly nod.
"drink this. I need you to test it for me." I nod again and slide over to the living room, sitting cross legged on the couch as Ethelyn jars her dementia remedy. Unscrewing the potion I take a sip and the soothing chemical runs down my throat. I trust Ethelyn, so I don't worry as my vision goes black.

I'm standing back outside the house where I was stabbed. I try to reach for the door handle but my arm passes straight through the door and I fall through. Regaining my balance, I look up to see the last few moments of my life. From here. The real me is standing from the chair and goes to embrace Jack as a shadowy figure I hadn't noticed runs a knife right into my back. Cas drops Jake's body and loops around to the man in seconds, burning his eyes out as well. Jack catches my body as it falls to the floor. It's like being a ghost, watching myself die. As dean and Sam rush over I inspect my killer. Tyler Rishando, Diana's older brother who we had interviewed about her disappearance. He had known about her plan. I'm distracted by a loud grunt as Dean shakes my body, trying to pull it from a kneeling Jack's Death grip.
"Viv. Viv? Vivianne?!" he shouts and his voice breaks on the last cry as Jack pulls me  closer to his chest, his hands drenched with my blood.
"Dean. Stop."
Cas places a hand on his shoulder and Dean slowly stands. A strangled sob escapes Jacks lips as he presses his forehead to mine. I can see my own eyes glazed over and slightly open as Sam kneels where Dean had been. He waits for Jack to separate from me and wipe his eyes and Sam slowly waves his hand over my eyes, shutting them.
Jack continues to cry as he presses a kiss to my cheek and Sam sighs, picking me up out of the pool of my own blood. My head rolls back and the four turn to leave.

I jolt, sitting up straight as I blink a few times to become aware of my surroundings. The jar is still clutched In my hands and I can hear the shower running downstairs. Ethelyn is seated on the other couch and I eye the jar as she softly speaks.
"you can take another sip you know. If-" she pauses and her voice quiets.
"if you want to see more." she then stands and promptly heads up the stairs as I sit alone. Closing my eyes I lift the jar to my lips again and wait for the strange feeling to wash over, sending me into sleep.

My body lies on the table in the bunker. A clock on the wall reads 6:07am and Jack slowly enters the study. His eyes are sad, but dry as he grabs some canvas cloth that is draped over a chair. Swiftly looking around, he approaches the table and sits beside me, his legs hanging off the table. He lifts one of my limp hands onto his and softly rubs circles on it.
"I'm so sorry Viv." he whispers.
"I couldn't save you. All I do is ruin everything good that comes to me."
Placing my hand back across my chest where it had been, he softly leans over, leaving a gentle kiss on my cheek and nose before brushing against my lips.
"it should have been me." his voice breaks and tears begin to flow from his eyes as Jack wraps my body in the canvas. Starting with my legs, he ties the fabric tightly to my body before getting to my face. His voice breaks as he manages one sentence before covering my head.
" It should have been me.".

I wake up a second time and screw the lid on the jar. Determined to get home I place the jar on the kitchen table,  and rush downstairs, changing into the black tank I was reincarnated in and the truck-lady's flannel with some jeans I bought yesterday at the thrift store with Jude. I head upstairs to use the bathroom while Jude finishes showering. Brushing my long hair I look at it in the mirror. Reincarnation is a big deal, maybe I can switch things up a bit. Swiftly grabbing a couple garbage bags from underneath the kitchen sink, I cut a head and arm holes to make a poncho out of one and I spread the other on the ground. Grabbing a pair of stolen scissors from Jude's desk, I snip off strips and strips of thick hair until my hair is practically lower neck length. Admiring my handiwork I throw out the hair and bags and fluff it before going to make myself some coffee. I suppose this will be the last few hours of my apple pie life.