Chapter 38

After close examining, We realized Maeve was indeed a vampire. They had turned her within days of her arrival and the needles were different substances the Vampires had injected into her in attempt to empower themselves. I sat in her room, reading as Mary and Dean made dinner. Dean hadn't yet seen Maeve but she patiently waited in her bed, staring blankly into space.
"Maeve, do you need anything?" I shut my book and she shakes her head slowly.
"Call me Mae." I nod as the door creaks open, Jack entering with a tray of food. He walks toward Mae but his gaze drifts to me, the expression of a lost puppy hidden in his eyes. I make it clear that he should stay away by casting a glare in his direction and Jack distracts himself with handing Mae her food.
" If Sam's analysis isn't wrong, the angel's grace you were injected with has somehow effected your vampire qualities. You have the teeth of a
Werewolf but possible feeding patterns of a vampire and possibly also  heightened skills of both breeds presumably caused by all the testing they had done on you." Jack sets a tray on her lap and Mae stares at the cup of coconut Water and strange array of objects in confusion
"if you wanted it, I brought some human food over there," Jack points at the container he has set at the beside table.
"but Coconut Water is used as an emergency blood transfusion so we thought maybe it could replace your hunger for blood. Whereas, we have a sheep heart in this tray in case you have Werewolf feeding patterns." he finishes and Mae gulps in disgust at the sheep heart.
"uh, no thanks. That's gross." she pushes the grotesque thing away and takes a sip of coconut water.
"The nest leader used to just bring bowls of the human blood they had leftover and I'd feed off that but coconut water seems much more sanitary and frankly i prefer it." she pauses and stares at the sealed glass container of fried rice and points to it.
"can I have human food?" she asks and Jack shrugs,
"I don't see why not.".
Sitting in her hospital bed, Mae sips at the coconut water and devours the rice in seconds.
"woah" I cant hold back the strange awe. I forgot how fast teenagers can eat. Not to mention this one hasn't had real human food in seemingly five months. Instantly a bit of colour appears in her cheeks and she sits up straight as Dean enters with a plate of food for me. He hands it to me and silently examines Mae as she twiddles her thumbs and stares hollowly at her feet.
"so." his rough voice booms as Mae sits up straighter than I thought possible to stare at him.
"Maeve Jackson huh." he pauses as she nods her face reflecting an anxious state.
"nice name." he awkwardly shifts in his seat. For the first time in front of Dean Maeve speaks up.
"are you going to kill me? If so, it's okay." she nods but doesn't break eye contact with Dean. His face contorts in confusion
"What do you mean its fine?" he looks utterly shocked but the 15 year old remains stotic.
"I'm a burden on anyone that has to deal with me. An overused test dummy if you please. There's no cure for my problems and I already know that. Sam told me and I don't care. I cant go home and even if I could, there's nothing left for me there anyway." silence fills the room as she takes a sip of water.
" all I ask is that you make my death quick and painless. I've had enough bloodshed for one lifetime." she hopefully stares at the ground as Dean stands up, angry.
"look, even if there's nothing for you there, there's something for you here. We can help you get at least a little better and in return you could help us too. There's thousands of cases to be worked on everyday and having another good-intentioned mutant on our side couldn't hurt."
She looks up at him in awe as he begins to leave.
"Tonight I'll discuss with Sam and Cas about what they plan to do with you. For now, you can have this room to sleep, Viv'll keep you company." and with that, Dean is out the door. I eat my supper as a comfortable silence drifts over us again and Mae looks over at me.
"Vivianne?" she asks and I nod, replying.
"yep?" she smiles sweetly;
"Why are you and Jack here?"
I look her in the eyes and swallow the last spoonful of my meal, readying myself for a long tale of explaining.
"well, you see...."