Chapter 36

I groan, sitting up and stretching. A blonde lies in the bed next to mine and i remember meeting Claire Novak and arriving in Nebraska. Once I shower and get dressed, its 9:30 and Claire is just getting up. After about an hour, the Winchesters show up and next thing I know, I'm climbing into the backseat of the impala, Claire at my side. Dean pulls into a empty parking lot at the head of a trail that leads into the woods and we all climb out, assembling our weapons.
"so, Claire traced the vamps down to this patch of woods. They attacked people hiking and so now the area is seemingly clear of hikers who don't want to die." Dean cocks a handgun
"we'll head down the path and keep an eye out for any traces of the blood-sucking dicks." we all nod and follow the Winchesters down the trail, gravel crunching below our feet. As the underbrush thickens, it feels like we've been walking for hours when in reality its only been 45 minutes. Suddenly Sam stops. He bends down and Claire and I peek over his shoulder to see him examining a footprint in the dirt
"its not fresh, but it should lead us somewhere off trail." we silently nod and follow the Winchesters out into the damp woods. Rain is trickling down and I tighten my grip on my  long metal blade, the droplets shining as they slip off of it. Slowly but surely, a shack comes into sight. Dean hushes us before barging in. Six angry Vamps come running as i behead one. The room is dimly lit and behind the first row of people, its too dark to see anything else. I pull one off of Claire and snap, killing all four that were in range to attack us. She shakes her head in shock and i run over, killing one that was climbing on Sam. There's only one left now and Dean chops his head off before  turning to make sure with the rest of us that they're all dead. As he takes a step forward, i follow Dean's gaze over to a shelf. Its littered with empty needles and little jars of strange substances. Dean picks a needle up and looks at it,
"werewolf blood" Sam reads the label on a half full jar.
"this one's got a trace of archangel grace." Dean waves the needle around before putting it back.
"what the hell?" Claire comes to join us after examining the dead bodies.
"They were all normal vamps, except that one." she points at a muscular body who dean killed.
"he's got werewolf teeth.".
Sam shakes his head.
"why would they have all of these needles and jars of such weird things?" Claire asks and I notice Dean's standing in front of a door to a basement.
"Only one way to find out." he breaks the door open and each of us, armed with guns and various knives, file down the rickety shack stairs. Sam shines a presumably fake FBI style flashlight into the room to reveal what appears to be a whole pile of dead bodies. Dean, Sam, Claire and I get to work, examining the bodies for traits.
"These three are human." Sam gently pushes some dead people out of the way as Dean checks some more.
"two werewolves and a shapeshifter." he grunts and tosses the carcasses aside.
"these two are human." Claire wipes her hands on the jacket she wears, standing up. I gulp, stacking the young mans body i also found.
"Angel." Dean nods and we circle around as a group
"so, the humans make sense. Vamps have to feed somehow, but two werewolves, a shapeshifter and an angel? Not to mention the archangel grace that was injected somewhere and the hundreds of needles upstairs? These weren't normal Vampires."
Dean shifts in place and I try to stop myself from eyeing the pile of bodies.
"well, what if they were experimenting?" i suggest and suddenly everyone's eyes are on me.
"Maybe they wanted to find a way to enhance themselves. Or..." i pause and Claire raises her eyebrows,
"Or what?" she asks and my eyes flicker around the room, catching a tiny steel door in the corner.
"Or, they have a test dummy." i use my powers to rip open the door and Sam shines a light inside. The tiny, elongated closet has blood staining the floors, and i follow the trail of blood to a young girl tied to a dark wooden chair. Shoulder length hair covers her head, tilted at an angle as if she's asleep. I take a step toward her and tap her knee, but she remains unconscious. Pushing the hair from her forehead i see her entire face is drenched with dirt, sweat and blood. Her noticeably parted lips are stained with blood, running down her chin as if she had bit her own tongue and scars line the left side of her neck. Two puncture marks from teeth are on the right side of her neck and i push her head to look into them.
"Definitely vampire bite." Dean states.
"Is she alive?" Claire asks and i reach for her wrist to find it tied to the chair. Meticulously  I rip the ropes off and flip her hand over to find injection marks from about 6 needles as well as healing scars down her arms. Checking for a pulse i feel a slow and steady heartbeat.
"She's alive but not for long." i go to untie her other arm and find a couple more injection marks and scars down her right wrist as well. Untying her legs,  i notice her cuffed bloody jeans giving way to tanned ankles covered in bruises. Her heavy Hiking boots are similar in size to my shoes and I call on Sam to help carry her out. Dean holds out a gun to the body but I hold my hand to the barrel,
"We've got to take her to the bunker and see what the injections are." its a lame excuse but he nods and next thing I know, we're bidding farewell to Claire and the girl remains comatose in Sam's arms. I check her pulse again and feel it slowing down drastically.
"Dean, I need to take her back to the bunker. Right Now." he looks up from the weapon filled trunk of Baby and raises an eyebrow.
"teleport?" he asks and I nod, awkwardly transferring the girl from Sam's carry onto my back. Dean begins to call Castiel to unlock the door for me and i teleport to the edge of the warding-protected zone. The trek through uncharted wild woods is so much easier without a person on your back, but I pull through, Just making it to the bunker. Knocking on the big heavy Iron door, i step back and it slowly creaks open to reveal Jack.
"you're home."