Chapter 26

I sit on the pull-out couch in Jude's basement, wardings spray painted across the cement walls practically glow in bright pink.
"so why i are the wardings uh, pink?"
I ask and he continues pulling out some fresh blankets from the linen closet.
"mum said I could have the basement so I made it my own."
That I could tell. The leather pull-out couch has glass bed side tables on each side of it and modern colour-changing Ikea lamps illuminate the surface. The grey walls are blank other than the wardings and a large flat screen TV open to Netflix. A bedroom door is right next to the stairs and a sign is plastered to the white glossy wood. It reads,
"Enter and you may never exit again. "
When I first read it I laughed before realizing that the room is indeed Jude's bedroom. My initial reaction was "kinky..." but his oh-so annoyed eye roll got to me and I shut up. He is my best friend after all. I rub my eyes and yawn, pulling the blanket around me as Jude sits on the carpeted floor, switching the TV to some police-comedy show or whatever. "dude, you can sit on the bed." I call him over and he shrugs, stretching out across the unoccupied side of the bed. Hands behind his head, the light of the TV flashes across his eyes as I begin to drift off in my place.

When I wake up, Jude is gone and the smell of waffles comes from upstairs. I rub my eyes and tie up my hair into a thick ponytail climbing up the stairs while the bottoms of my pajama pants drag across the stairs. I stumble into the kitchen and blink rapidly as my eyes adjust to the light. Suddenly I feel thin arms around me and the familiar smell of tea tree oil mixed with campfire smoke surrounds me.
"oh good god I thought you were dead!" I look up into the off-blue eyes of Jude's mother Ethelyn. Her soft brown hair is wild and I notice that she wears a purple poncho and bright pink rubber boots.
"I was just about to garden! I'm so happy you're alright!" her voice is soft as always and she pats me on the head before letting me go and disappearing into the forest behind their house.
"hey. " Jude mans the waffle machine and pulls two fresh fluffy waffles out for us. He scoops blueberries on one and fresh strawberries onto the other before spreading layers of whipped cream onto them. I greatly pour myself some coffee and sit opposite to him.
"you remembered I like strawberries."  I sip the bitter coffee and my senses start to properly awaken.
"dude, I thought you were dead. I tried really hard not to forget anything and I guess it paid off."  he smiles and drinks from a tall glass of orange juice.
"Okay now that you're well rested and fed, we need to get you to the Winchesters." he starts and I listen intently.
"they're in a bunker somewhere. Do you know where it is?" I nod and he scribbles things down as I talk.
"the men of letters bunker in Lebanon Kansas. There's only one key though so I don't know how to get in." he twists his lips into a strange expression and then starts up again.
"okay, okay okay. So, if it's one specific key, there's got to be at least one more key and I think we might just be lucky." I cock my head in confusion as he explains.
"just through these woods behind my house is a road that leads to the next town north. It's about a 45 minute drive there. My mum's friend lives there. She is a Hunter who has collected basically anything you could possibly need. My mother has received tons of magical shit from her. Maybe, just maybe she'll have what you need to get in." we agree to visit her and I get dressed quickly into some of Ethelyn's clothes before following Jude out into his old truck. We catch up on each others lives during the drive and he tells me about his job at the local cafe while he studies graphic design. I tell him about Dean, Sam, Castiel and Jack. Time flies as he pulls into a small town with a main street lined with stores. A small playground is packed with happy children and mothers circling their young. He abruptly turns into a back alley and we pass tons of country houses before the alley opens to a gravel road leading into a patch of trees. As we rattle through the trees a light Becomes visible at the end but before we reach it, Jude drives into a tiny driveway leading to a cabin which, from afar is completely shrouded in bushes. He climbs out of the car and I immediately reach for my pocket, still unused to not having my gun constantly. I shudder when I step out as grey light barely comes through the thick mass of leaves above us. Following Jude, we approach a little wooden cabin and he gently knocks a specific pattern. It opens a crack and a bushy haired blonde woman answers, a gun in hand.