The truth

Song by Katelyn Taver- You don't know

Scarlett POV:

By the time I get home it's after midnight. I was hoping everyone would be in bed but I should have known better because I couldn't possibly get that lucky. Zane is up and waiting on me.

"Where the hell have you been? Do you even realize what time it is? And didn't we just have this fucking conversation." He was sitting but now he is standing and pouring himself another drink.

"I told you I was out with a friend."

"A friend, who in the hell is this friend you been hanging out with lately?"

"Just a friend."

"I don't get why all of a sudden you refuse to follow orders, you refuse to listen you continue to go against all the rules and disobey me."

"Maybe because I'm an adult and I should be able to do whatever the hell I want to do. I shouldn't have to live by rules dammit." Shit that came out all wrong and I know the minute it comes out of my mouth and that glare in his eyes I crossed a line.

"Do we need to go to the workout room?" He stands closer to me. I thought he was going to hit me but he holds back.

"Not unless you are planning on actually fighting against me."

"GO!" He orders.

So I do because I know he is not going to do what he did the last time I was in there. This time it's me and him on the mat.

I get on the mat ready to go.

"I don't want to fight you Scar."

"If you want me in here this is how you are going to get me. I'm fucking tired of you treating me like a child."

"But you are, well at least your acting like one." He says as he is walking onto the mat.

"Come on you want to punish me so bad come on hit me." I move around on the mat. "Come on dammit hit me."

He does but I block him and swing up just right hitting him in the jaw and it pisses him off.

"What's wrong...come on hit me back you are the one who trained me to be one of the best. What you think I'm going to just stand here and let you have all the fun."

I go in for another hit but he hits me hard enough to make me stumble backwards. We go at it back and forth hitting each other. I'm still standing so that's good I guess. We been going at it for a good fifteen minutes and then he hits me hard enough that I fall down.

"Why do you have to be so difficult?" He ask me as I wipe the blood off of my lip and stand back up just in time for him to kick the shit out of me right in the side. This time I am down and coughing up a lung.

I watch as he goes over to grab a towel to wipe the blood from his face.

"Why did you keep me?" I ask him.

"What? We already talked about this Scarlett why do you insist on asking?"

"I had a visit at work today from Draven Adler."

His eyes shot my way and I could tell that got his attention. "What the fuck did he want?"

"I think to kill me. I mean he did break into the back door and came in with a gun so I assume he was there to finish the job that he didn't. He knows who I am."

"But he didn't do the job again...so what the hell was he there for?"

"Well no because when he came in I happened to be behind him. I hit him over the head knocking him out and I drug him to a chair and strapped him in. I was planning on killing him but I didn't. I really would have but Mekhi came in and talked me out of it."

"Dammit Scar what makes you think that he is not going to come back for you?"

"Because of Mekhi."

Then it dawns on him. "So that's who you were with. What is he blackmailing you, forcing you to be with him or something?"

I smirk, "Or something. I like him all right and he likes me but that's besides the point. Before Draven left he said that I should ask you about what really happened. He said that I should know the whole truth so spit it out tell me."

"Why can't you just let it go no matter what you know, we can't bring them back."

"Dammit Zane just tell me the fucking truth for once."

"I was in love with her, your mother."

"I know that already you already told me."

He comes over and sits across from me running his hands on top of his head. He looks down at the mat avoiding making eye contact with me.

"You're not ever going to let this go are you?"

"I doubt it; please I just need to know."

He glares into my eyes. "Your mom was already pregnant before she left me. She was like four months along. She said that there was no way in hell she would ever be able to raise a baby in the lifestyle that I had. She left and met Nathan. She married him three months later and he knew the baby was not his but he vowed to be the father. The guy was already in debt before he married her and only got farther in debt after. She didn't know that he was."

"In debt to who?" I ask him.

He takes a deep breath contemplating if he should tell me or not.

"In debt to who Zane?"

"To me. He owed me several hundred thousand and he kept putting it off."

"So you hired Draven to kill him?"

"Yes. But he was to only get rid of Nathan. Your mother should have kept her sweet ass in the closet with you. But she was so fucking stubborn like you so demanding and thinking she could save his sorry ass. She should have been protecting you not that asshole."

Damn...He hired the hitman to kill my parents. How the hell do I process this, my whole life was practically a freaking lie.

"Scar, I loved her. I wanted her here with me. I wanted her to change her mind and come back to me. She wasn't supposed to die."

"But she did and you found me, because you knew where she would hide me. You brought me here to the one place she never wanted me to be, why?"

"Scarlett, how could I ever hurt my baby girl? I would never let anyone hurt you."

That's when it hit me, he said my baby girl what the hell he is my father, my real father.

"Scarlett look at me."

My eyes are full of hatred tears. I don't know if I should care that he is my father or if I should hate him for the life he has given me. I look up at him as he scoots closer to me. He reaches out and touches my knee.

"Scarlett please forgive me. It wasn't supposed to be this way. I loved you and I will always love you. A part of me died that night but you saved me from dying along with her. I hate what happened but we can't fix it, we can't bring her back to us."

"I.."I stand up pulling myself away from him. "I just need time...I just don't know. I need to process this..please don't come after me I just need to be alone." I'm running out of the room and out the back door. I can't breathe and the fresh air isn't helping either. I grab Rebel and we run into the blackness of the night.