fourteen ; swimming trunks

"how did you get out without tyler bombarding you with questions?" luke asks as i climb into his car for what seemed like the fifteenth time.

"i snuck out," i reply, folding my hands on my lap.

"i like this side of you bella, it's hot." luke says. i scoff at his reply, but can't help a small blush creep along my face. i glance down at my phone that was going off every 5 seconds to divert my attention from luke.

9 unread messages from connect 4

connect 4

thai: somebody fucking tell me where bella went before i call the cops

cal es mal: bella snuck out ????

thai: yeah

thai: what a puta

mike-emical romance: don't be a dik

thai: do u know where she is puta???

mike-emical romance: i'm her bffl of course i do

thai: i'm fucking coming over and beating u up

mike-emical romance: good luck with that, i'm not home PUTA

2 unread messages from cal es mal

cal es mal: dude where r u

cal es mal: im worried

1 unread message from mike-emical romance

mike-emical romance: im actually home, don't tell tyler

10 unread messages from thai

thai: where the fuck are u

thai: this isn't funny

thai: stop being a lil puta

thai: ok no seriously

thai: tell me where u are so i can pick u up

thai: at least answer ur phone so i know ur safe

thai: bella ????

thai: should i call mom

thai: uve never done this before

thai: im scared bella whyd u sneak out

i smile at the texts nonetheless, happy that they were worried for me and that i had a good friend and brother. i decide to message back tyler first, knowing he was probably the most worried.

bella: i'm safe ty, out w a friend. dont worry. love you.

when i'm done typing a response to tyler, i text calum something similar.

"why aren't you just little miss popular." luke says, noticing my silence.

"the boys are worried about me, again." i put my phone down and focus on luke, taking a good look at him for the first time since i had entered the car.

he was wearing a white shirt and swim trunks. they were-—much to my dismay— a bright salmon color.

"checking me out?" luke asks. i blush at being caught by the boy but mutter out a sarcastic response anyway.

"no, just admiring your swim trunks. " luke laughs at my response but little did he know that i was being serious. the pink looked great against his skin, as much as i hated to admit it. i didn't particularly want to fall for my brother's best friend, but luke was undeniably hot. maybe the hottest guy i've ever laid eyes on- next to harry styles of course.

his constant flirty remarks yet kind tendencies were throwing me off and i did not like it. he himself said that he couldn't remember the last time he had a girlfriend.

"let's go." luke says, getting out of his car. we were at the hole again and i was in shock that no one had yet discovered this area.

"how did you find this place?" i ask, curious.

"one time, i ran away from home and i just kept driving until i saw this gravel path. i thought about going for a walk to clear my head and stuff. imagine my surprise when i found this." he gestures to the water beneath us.

"you ran away from home? why? how old were you?" the questions seem to roll off my tongue. i couldn't help but be curious about the young boxer.

"i was mad at my dad and i was 16 years old. of course, my only answer was the flee from him." he chuckles at the small reminder of his past but quickly returns back to reality.

"enough questions, let's get straight to the swimming princess."

i don't say anything in response but instead, follow the bright pink swimming trunks down to the water.