twenty two ; too nice for your own good

"i've swam there so many times, how could i be this dumb!" luke shouts, slamming the wheel as we're finally on our way back.

"hey, it's not your fault," i say tiredly, closing my eyes briefly. i wanted to go to sleep because i was so physically exhausted but i knew that wasn't a good idea.

"eyes open princess," luke says, "and keep that pressure on your thigh."

i was currently pressing a towel against my thigh to stop the blood flow or something like that. i wasn't really listening when luke was talking. i had stopped worrying as much at this point because the shock was finally out of my system. it was a minor cut that was nothing compared to what luke got when he fought.

"you've been through worse," i mumble, keeping my eyes closed. i didn't have the energy to open them again.

"michael, feel her forehead and please open her eyes somehow." luke demands. it sounded like he was a professional at all this which would make sense due to all the injuries he gets.

"it's warm," michael says. i could feel his hand pressed against my forehead and it made me shiver. it was freezing cold.

"or your hands are just cold." i retort, laughing a little.

both of the boys ignore my semi-joke and continue talking about me. i don't really care for what they say, personally feeling fine. i had cut myself with an x-acto knife on accident once and this was what it felt like.

"oh my god, what if she has to get her leg amputated!" i hear michael shout in the midst of their conversation.

"dumbass, she won't have to get her fucking leg amputated." the car suddenly jolts to a stop and i open my eyes for the first time since luke told me to. we were currently at a gas station.

"michael, don't let her close her eyes again. i'll be right back, i promise." luke leaves michael and i alone and exits the car.

"hey babe, are you ok? how are you feeling?" he says, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"i told you guys this already, i'm fine. just tired." i yawn, proving my point.

"how does your thigh feel. does it feel swollen? does it hurt?" i laugh at michael's concern.

"it hurts a little michael. i think the blood has stopped flowing. i have an idea, let's check!" i take the towel off my thigh and watch blood seep out of the cut. i hear michael shout and he quickly grabs my hand with the towel and presses it back onto it.

"holy shit." i wince in pain, finally feeling it.

"oh my goodness i'm so sorry i didn't mean to-"

"you're fine michael. where is luke?" i grit through the pain.

as soon as i say his name, a very angry looking luke exits the gas station with a bag in his hand. when he opens the door, he automatically begins shouting.

"what kind of gas station doesn't have a first aid kit?! this is absolutely insane!" as he rants, luke gets two bottles out of the bag.

"drink some water and then you can have the dr.pepper." luke sternly says to me.

"why can't i just have the dr.pepper," i whine. "i've had enough water for the rest of my life."

even though i didn't want the water, i take a few quick sips of the water and then hold my hand out for the soda. luke hands me the soda and i happily drink it down, the pain in my thigh not being my main focus.

luke begins driving again, telling us we were going to his apartment complex instead of wasting any more time at a gas station in hopes they had a first aid kit. luke knew he had supplies at his place so that's where we were going.

when we finally make it, i recognize the area.

"dude, you live in the apartment complex right across from mine! obviously, yours is the nice ass one and mine is the beaten up one," michael shouts, excited.

luke, not as excited, replies back.

"do you mind leaving us then? i don't want you to witness this." micheal nods his head, understanding. i give him a quick wave and a kiss on the cheek as he leaves.

"i'm not dying jesus." i mumble, wrapping my arm around luke's shoulder in order to walk. luke and i make our way to his apartment which was a few floors up. in the elevator, i got the weirdest looks but luke stared them down until they looked away, making me laugh. it didn't help that everyone who lived there seemed like they could buy out my entire life savings with one swipe of a card and not even flinch.

"ok, ok, sit down." luke finally says. he leaves the room, leaving me by myself in his bathroom. when he comes back, he arrives with a first aid kit in his hand. luke kneels down in front of me and takes off the towel.

"holy fucking shit, i didn't know it was this bad." he curses. "i shouldn't have taken you there. god, every time i try to do something good i fail."

i frown at luke's words and put my hand over his which was currently cleaning up my wound.

"don't say that. i know how to swim!" i try to cheer him up but he still had a frown on his face as he continues to clean my wound.

"you know, you've been in much worse conditions. i just got a cut. i'm gonna be fine." i whisper, realizing that he didn't understand that i didn't care for the wound.

"i know, but i signed up for that. yours was an accident. i'm sorry." he says, looking up at me. i give him a soft smile but he had the same expression on his face. when my leg is all wrapped up, i stand up but quickly sit back down due to the pain in my thigh.

"shit," i mutter. luke was beginning to walk out the door but turns back when he hears me.

"i didn't even think of that. what are you gonna tell tyler when you can't walk on your own two feet?" he asks, angry.

"it's fine luke, i'll think of something. just stop beating yourself up about this. i'm fine, i'm alive. i'm gonna be back to normal in no time." i sigh.

"you're too nice for your own good." luke mutters, wrapping my arm around his shoulder.