forty seven ; jet black heart

"how did it take you that long to notice," michael says, throwing dirt into the bin.

"i don't know, okay? i'm half blind. now can you please put the lid on top and drill some holes into it." i boss michael around, telling him what to do, not wanting to get my hands dirty. if there's one thing i hate more than working out, it would be the feeling of getting dirt underneath my fingernails.

michael and i were currently talking about the fact that it took me a full week to notice that luke left a few sticky notes around my room. how he got into the apartment, that was a different question. one sticky note was underneath my bed, another in one of my dresser drawers, and the last one- that i know of- in my backpack.

"what the hell is happening?" tyler yells out through the window that was open. michael and i look up to my brother who was currently shouting at us from the second floor.

"i asked the people up front and they said i could make the apartment building a compost!" i excitedly shout, pumping my fists in the air. michael has been hearing me complain about our building not having a compost system for years now, but he also knows that i hated talking to strangers, so it took me years of courage to actually go up there and ask the front desk lady if we could make one.

"you could make one? i think you mean michael could make one," michael mutters underneath his breath as he pokes holes into the container with a screwdriver. we didn't have an actual drill to use, so this was what we had to make do with.

"hi michael," tyler directly looks at the boy, a timid smile on his face. he waves down but michael ignores him, increasing his intensity of poking holes into the container with the screwdriver.

"if you'll excuse me," i say to michael, walking away from the hostile boy.

i quickly jog up the stairs to meet up with tyler. due to spending most of my time with michael, i never got to actually ask tyler about what happened between him and michael. maybe he would give me a straight forward answer, unlike michael.

"so what's up with you and michael?" i ask tyler once i'm inside, retrieving a dr.pepper from the fridge.

"he hates me. he absolutely hates me. i want to die. wake me up when michael likes me again." tyler dramatically falls onto the couch, some type of alcohol in his left hand.

"nope. way too early." i snatch the bottle out of tyler's hand. "what do you mean by he hates you?"

i pry at tyler's words, wondering if he knew that michael liked him.

"he used to be my best friend next to cal but now he can't even look at me. i never even did anything to him." tyler pouts, half because i took his drink and half because of whining about michael.

"why do you care so much? you used to make fun of michael like you didn't give a damn about his reaction." i play along, curious as to how tyler feels about the boy. tyler has never shown an interest in michael like that before, but now it seems different.

"i just do, okay?" tyler huffs, getting up from the couch and walking away to his room, loudly slamming the door shut.

i mutter a few profanities underneath my breath due to tyler's rude behavior, but i'm sure my inquisitive nature played some role in aggravating him.

"why if it isn't the birthday girl!"

i turn my head towards who just opened the door and notice calum standing there with a huge smile on his face, holding a bag in his hand.

"not for two more days cal, but nice try." i giggle at calum's sweet gesture but hug him nonetheless.

"well, i wanted to get you something anyway. this isn't your real present, but i was too excited so i had to give your homemade gift a little earlier." calum gestures for me to take the bag in his hand and i do, after a few protests from me of him not having to get me anything.