thirty one ; throwing rocks at your window

"what the hell are you doing?" i shout out to luke once i had gotten the window open.

"i didn't know if tyler came home or not so i guessed this was the best alternative." luke says.

"well, if you had done any damage to the window than the inspectors would have noticed, not to mention that i'm pretty sure we're not supposed to see each other anymore!" i went from mildly whispering to shouting at this point.

"i wanted to talk to you." he shrugs his shoulders and smiles up at me.

"so we're going to completely disregard the whole event that happened today? i don't know about you, but i didn't enjoy tyler being mad at me." i was getting tired as it already was late but screaming out the window made me want to go to sleep even more.

"can i come up or not?" luke says, juggling the rocks in his hands.

bella, lets be rational. you literally swore off luke today yet here you are considering him going into your apartment.

but at the same time, talking to luke was fun, exciting even.

but bella, you're rebellious streak has gone on long enough.

"bella?" luke questions from below.

"what the hell, come on up." i find myself saying even though my head was chanting at me to not let him up.

"yay! hold my rocks!" luke says, chucking the remaining rocks he was holding up at me. i see them coming at me and quickly move out of the way.

"luke what the hell is wrong with you?" i shout, looking back down at him after having the rocks landing at my feet.

i look down and see luke covering his mouth with his hands and shaking from laughter.

"i swear i didn't realize i was doing that until the rocks left my hand." he says, giggling.

i roll my eyes and close the window, waiting for him to come up. i have never met someone quite like luke hemmings, that was for sure.

as i wait on luke's arrival, i wearily wipe at my eyes and yawn. i hope he decides to leave after a little bit because i am utterly exhausted and can barely function.

it was also odd how i welcomed luke up in the first place. usually, when i'm tired, nothing can convince me to even talk to other people.

i hear a knock at my door and nervously walk over. i don't know why but luke always made me nervous.

"bella! long time no chat!" luke's australian accent was noticeable as he spoke, even deeper considering it was cold outside.

luke was wearing a black hoodie, rolled up even though it was freezing outside and black jeans. he looked good- as he always does. i, on the other hand, looked like a complete mess.

in four days, i was going back to school for the last part of my senior year. once school starts, i probably will not speak to luke hemmings again for the rest of my life. not to mention, michael told me that luke was going to start traveling for boxing soon as his winter hiatus for traveling was going to end soon as well. with all those circumstances lined up, it felt weird to end on bad terms with luke. i guess my mind knew that as well due to me saying he could come up before i even had decided.

"really, no chat means you chucked rocks at my head not even five minutes ago?" i ask, obviously sarcastic.

luke, as he always does, ignores me.

"how's your leg?" he asks.

"throbbing, thanks for asking." i ask, rolling my eyes since he ignored me again. i sit down on the couch in the living room and take a big sigh of relief once i do. walking was a lot of work even when i didn't have a gash in my thigh.

"cute sweatshirt." he says, sitting next to me. though there was plenty of room to sit, he obviously did not understand personal space. it seemed like luke was in an extremely weird mood, but i didn't question it. he had enough questions from me to last a lifetime.

i look down at my sweatshirt and remember it's my harry styles one.

"thanks." i mumble, evidently tired.

"you know, i could meet him. i have connections." luke says absentmindely, playing with his fingers. i widen my eyes and stare at him.

"i'd shit my pants for you." luke looks up at my words and a smile quickly creeps onto his face. he bursts out laughing and i stay quiet, admiring his laugh. it wasn't his usual casual laugh. the laugh filled up the room and was loud. he tilted his head back as if he had never laughed before and i would be laughing as well because of how contagious it was if i hadn't been too busy focusing on him.

"this is why i wanted to come over. you are one of a kind bella, truly." he says, once he stops laughing. getting serious again, his smile slowly fades from his face.

"what's up?" i asks, genuinly concerned. in the time that i have known him, i know that luke wasn't someone who was like this.

"i went to that party with tyler and calum tonight for a little bit." luke went back to staring at his hands and it almost seemed like he refused to look at me.

"and?" i ask. i realized that i never really found out what happened when tyler and calum showed up to luke's boxing match.

"well tyler acted like nothing even happened, but that's not the problem," he says, not clarifying as to what he was talking about.

"luke, what's wrong?" i ask again. "look at me."

my eyebrows were furrowed in confusion as i waited for luke to look up at me. once he does, he starts talking again.

"there was this girl. everything was normal. i was going to take her to my place." luke was nervous, that much was noticeable but i was utterly confused as to why.

why would he be telling me something like this?

"but as soon as we got in that car, i don't even know why but i thought of you and it was like every single thing i felt just dissipated and all i wanted to do was be here with you and now that i'm here, i feel dumb because i know you don't want me here. i don't even know why i'm here to be completely honest. i should just leave." luke says, getting up and shaking his head.

"wait, luke."

a/n

🤪🤪