forty four ; opposites attract

"the fundamental rule of atoms and their three main components- the proton, neutron, and electron- is that opposites attract, and likes repel. you need to remember that for the test." mr. robbins says. he then takes a break in his lecture to look around if anyone was actually paying attention.

"michael clifford!" mr. robbins shouts, glaring at michael's sleeping body which was next to mine.

"what!" michael shouts, startled by mr.robbins' tone of voice. he immediately shoots up and looks at me to comprehend why the teacher had just yelled his name.

"can you repeat what i just said?" mr. robbins says, crossing his arms across his chest.

now what he had just said wasn't complicated. we learned this same material years ago when we were just in grade school.

"proton, neutron, back to one?" michael shrugs, not realizing that what he had just said was, in fact, a made-up spell from wizards of waverly place.

"oh, you have got to be kidding me. i said that the fundamental rule of the atom and its charge is that opposites attract and likes repel. can you remember that for me mr. clifford or are you planning on falling asleep on the day of the test as well?" mr. robbins didn't care long enough for michael to respond and turns back to the board to write an equation down.

"i think i can remember that. it's like you and luke. he's all violent and intimidating and you're like an angel who is caring and nice. wait, how did hanging out yesterday even go? you never told me anything. when i asked you how the date went yesterday you never responded." michael questions, leaning in forward and whispering to me, not trying to get yelled at by the teacher again.

i roll my eyes at michael's description of luke and i but ponder upon an answer to his question nonetheless.

yesterday was quite possibly one of the best days of my life- no exaggeration. after luke kissed me at the record shop, it was anything but awkward as i expected it to be. i carried on telling luke that he was not better than harry styles, which caused the blush on his cheeks to dissipate and instead be replaced by a slight push into me with his body.

luke ended up choosing the harry styles album anyway and then he drove me back to my apartment. it wasn't uncomfortable in the car and we were making small talk until my favorite conversation with luke that i have ever had began.

-

"i'm sorry that i kissed you back there without your permission and i- uh- just have wanted to do that since i've met you but i-"

"luke," i giggle, cutting him off. "you're fine. i would be lying if i said i didn't like kissing you."

luke snaps his head to my direction and a genuine smile replaces the frown that was on his face earlier.

"of course, who wouldn't like kissing me?" he turns his head to look back at the road and but his face still had a slight smile on it.

"oh yeah, the fact that i got the luke hemmings, worldwide known boxer, to kiss me? i must be the hottest," i say, flipping my hair over my shoulder with a smug look on my face.

"right, whatever you say." luke scoffs, yet reaches for my hand and intertwines it with his.

"please, you're whipped," i whisper, leaning my head back into the seat of his car. i was content like this. how could tyler be so against something that was so right?

"that i am." luke squeezes my hand in reassurance and i can't help but smile widely as i await having to face tyler and lie to him as to where i was.

-

"so you want to tell me what you were thinking about for the past five minutes or keep daydreaming about luke getting in your pants."

"keep daydreaming about luke getting into my pants, thank you very much," i emphasize, realizing that i hadn't written down anything about physics since the words 'proton, neutron, electron'.

even though i hadn't answered michael's original question, for the next few minutes, michael and i are quiet. though absolutely terrible at physics, that didn't mean michael and i weren't considerate of the people around us trying to learn.

"ok, we've been quiet enough, now tell me what happened," michael whispers, poking me with his pencil.

"well-" i begin my story of yesterday but get cut off.

"excuse me- could you guys be quiet? i'm trying to read." the girl next to me, named julia, says.

michael and i both peer at the girl and see what she was reading- twilight- of course.

"right, sorry," michael whispers, stifling a laugh.

"don't be mean." i smack michael and wait for the girl to turn back around.

"do you think she's team jacob or team edward." michael asks, completely serious. he was still looking at julia as if the answer would come to him from staring at her.

michael and i had this debate many times. michael was team jacob, and his reasoning was that jacob was tan and attractive while edward was pasty and ugly. i told him that i could care less about either of the boys, but if i was forced to choose, i would be on team edward. i'm surprised that i didn't guess that michael was gay after consistently speaking of how hot jacob was.

"i don't think staring her down is going to answer your question," i respond, copying down the new slide from the presentation.

"her wrist," michael whispers, pointing at her wrist.

i turn my head to the side and notice there was writing on her wrist. written in black sharpie on her wrist was a hashtag.

"it says hashtag team edward." i whisper, trying not to make it seem like we were talking about her.

"dumb bitch," michael mutters, going back to copying notes.

"he's not ugly," i mumble, knowing that i was nearing dangerous territory.

"are you kidding?" micheal whisper-shouts. "on one hand, you have the tan, gorgeous jacob who resembles a god, looks like he bathed in holy water with jesus for seven years compared to pasty and dumb edward. it's like us in real life. i like sun-kissed tyler who looks like spongebob after he got a tan in that one episode, and you like the colorless and bloodless luke hemmings." michael huffs, crossing his arms.

"well, the colorless and bloodless luke hemmings took me to a record shop yesterday and kissed me." i say, smugly. even though michael claimed luke was practically ugly with the words he just said, i knew that he found luke attractive and that he was heavily invested in our relationship.

"you're kidding," michael whispers, lightly punching me.

"i am not." i feel my cheeks heat up at just the thought and smile.

"oh my god, you're literally infatuated with him!" michael exclaims, loudly. the entire class looks over at the two of us yet our teacher continues his presentation, not hearing us. he was also like seventy years old, hence the reason why he probably did not hear us.

"i am not!" i repeat to the boy who was for some reason yelling even though he was sitting right next to me.

"he sure has good timing or he's just as infatuated with you as you are with him," michael says, nodding his head towards my phone. luke's name lights up my phone and i smiled. speak of the devil.

i self-consciously pick up my phone, for some reason feeling weird with michael watching my every move.

luke: same time, same place. see u there love

a/n

hahahahahahahahaha oh julia, ps this isnt as proofread bc julia was forcing me to post and i got scared she sounded intense

vote and comment if u enjoyeddddddd

ps i luv calum hood