Chapter Six

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Six

        The walls of the ward are still closing in on me

As I walk through the distinct white and brown hall that leads to the main social area, my heart rapidly hammers against my ribs.

Everything from the flickering lights, to the disinfectant- reminds me of my time here. It was a cruel friend. I wish it were easy to forget this place.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" William places a hand on my elbow to check that I was still comfortable. He knows I'm not. But I want to do this.

I take a long breath and rub my hand over my chest, hoping it could soothe my beating heart. "I'm sure." A doctor meets us at the start of the hall once we'd signed in as visitors, asking us who we're seeing. "We're here to visit Chuck Vanderwal."

It was protocol that after seeing the receptionist to sign, you need to see a ward doctor so they're aware of who is in the room incase the front desk is busy. They can let you know if the patient is in a session of treatment or psychology.

"What are your names?" For female dresses in a white coat questions with a monotone voice. She seems to appear bored. Very bored.

"Lolita Brown and William Henderson." I find my courage to be the one speaking now instead of my best friend. My voice is shaky, but I manage. The doctor hands both of us a sticker that has 'visitor' printed across it. "Thank you."

William and I press it to our jackets. It's odd for me to wear it. I'm so use to having a patient band around my wrist.

We continue into the ward since we both are familiar with the way. My hands grow agitated when I stare at the areas I spent so much of my time in. Even my head had started to spin rapidly.

We're standing in the middle of the main social room. A large room with a glass dome ceiling so lights during the day aren't necessary, and couches are scattered around to lounge on.

There's shelves that line the walls- filled with books, board games, paper, and pencils. Not a lot of the patients spend their time here. I hardly did too unless I was hanging with Chuck, if I were having an okay day.

There's only two people in here with a book pressed in their hands. Complete silence is in the air.

From here, there's a hall on each side of the space, where the rooms are. I remember exactly where Chuck's is, so I turn to the left and walk towards that long corridor.