Chapter Twenty One

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Twenty One

There's been few too many times when I've woken like this

When the first thing I can sense is the air around me. Disinfectant burns my nose more than the car petrol had.

The second thing I sense are the sounds. I can hear footsteps, distance voices, and machines humming.

The third is feeling. I know I'm lying on a rather uncomfortable bed with even worse sheets over my lap. The feeling is amongst all my other pain.

That's when it all floods back. The last thing that dances on my mind was hearing the sound of the ambulance sirens, then nothing. My head was spinning.

My eyes stay shut even though I had woke. I know I'm in a very different ward to where I was for my disorder, yet it's still as terrifying being back in a hospital.

I take a breath and open my eyes to the light that immediately aches my head. It already hurt to much. I'm sure it would be much worse if I hadn't been given some sort of pain relief- at least I assume.

Hunter is slumped over in a chair with darken bags beneath his eyes. He's staring at thin air. I can see how tired he is. "You look terrible." He doesn't, but I say this anyway.

He jolts forward and his tired stare move up to me. Hunter stands from the chair, taking a new place by sitting on the edge of the bed beside my hips.

"You're up." He sounds surprised. "How are you? Should I get a nurse?"

He's worried. It makes me smile. "I'm fine." I say with an unsteady voice. "Where's Will?"

Hunter nods his head to the other side of the room. "He wore himself out from stress. He said he needed some beauty sleep, and to wake him the moment you even breathed differently."

I try to look where he indicted, but my head aches when I move it. I keep it still, and only use my eyes. My best friend is sprawled out on the comfy chair which left Hunter the plastic one.

His head is tilted back and his blond hair has fallen over his forehead. Even while asleep, William Henderson is undeniably adorable.

"What happened to Jake? Where is he?" He was unconscious the last time I saw him. A gash on his head.

"Jake's ," a pause and breath, "okay. Will went with him in the ambulance. He woke on the drive and was delusional as far as I know. They drug and alcohol tested him. The drug test apparently was positive with something- but we weren't told what. His mom is taking care of him."

His mom is with him. That brings relief.

"You scared the shit out me, Lollipops." Hunter's voice shifts. It's quiet. "You can only imagine what William was like. The boy almost had to get carried away in his own ambulance. He tried waiting up most of the night for you."