Chapter Twelve

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Twelve

The moment my best friend steps out of his room trying to conceal a smile, I know he's up to something

The moment my best friend steps out of his room trying to conceal a smile, I know he's up to something. I can smell his cologne from where I sit on a stool at the kitchen island.

His clothes are perfect- not a crease in sigh on his dress shirt and jeans. Even his blond hair styled and held with gel.

"Where are you going?" I ask. He's too dressed up for the basketball after party, even after another victory. It's late now, the perfect time for the party to be in full swing.

His eyes flicker around the apartment and I see his mind searching for an answer. He's definitely up to something he's trying to hide. "Kevin asked if we could work on the project after the game." I don't buy that for a second.

He reminds me an awful lot like Jake Miller right now. Hiding things. Words not meeting their eyes.

"Are you sure you're not going to tonight's after party? You can tell me if you're going, I don't mind if you still go." Even after everything that happened. William is responsible enough to go where he pleases, but the moment he's hiding things, I grow suspicious.

His head shakes and he avoids my stare. "No, I'm not going. I'm going to go work on the assignment. Bye!" William Henderson runs from the apartment.

I almost don't know what to think. Maybe he's going on a date and wants to keep it on the down low? Usually he tells me these things so we can gossip together. He has more success with a love life than I do.

I can't be mad or frustrated at him for keeping things from me, because I am- and have done the same before. Even now, I haven't told him that Jake kissed me.

I stand from the kitchen island and place my empty dinner bowl in the sink, before I head to my bedroom. It's nearly nine o'clock, so I don't bother doing any of my school work. It would be a sloppy mess if I bothered.

Since I have the apartment to myself, I play some music from my laptop to fill the silence. Times like this are the ones where I can feel my remorse. I can fall back on old memories and not have William here to hug me and tell me it's okay to miss things.

My hands peel open my closet doors. The one thing I've been missing dearly recently has been being a part of the cheerleading team. Being captain.

I still have my old uniform that I haven't seen since the last time I put it on. The colour is easy to spot amongst my other clothes, so I find myself clutching it between my hands.