Chapter Fourteen

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Fourteen

It was as if we'd been caught doing something we shouldn't be doing

It was as if we'd been caught doing something we shouldn't be doing. I guess it made sense why it felt wrong- because I'd become so use to us fighting that handling Hunter as a different person is odd

He'd shown a glimpse into his life and I felt the pain of his words. Whatever was the reason he moved, I don't think he'll be speaking of it yet.

William and Jake's steps slow into a stop when Hunter and I spring from the seats on the balcony and go back inside.

"Hi." My voice went squeaky. Their stares are both observing. It had made me nervous for reasons I can't explain.

William drops his bag beside the sofa. "Hey, you two." My best friend is biting back a knowing grin. "I was wondering where you disappeared to." A nod to Hunter.

It frightens me how easily the boy beside me to slip on a new mask. I needed to learn that trick. "Sorry, I was going to tell you but it slipped my mind. I wanted speak to Lolita before the day was over."

William no longer tries to stop his grin. It projects at the same time Jake angrily frowns. He doesn't like that I was left on my own with Hunter, or, there is some part of him that has motivation.

Yet, even after he'd kissed me- nothing more has been said. When I asked he said he needed time. Surely he's had plenty to explain to me why. I'm left in a limbo that I can't map out.

"It's okay, I'm glad to see that neither of you have tried to kill each other." William glances between Hunter and I. "Jake and I were actually going to track you down. Coaches wanted the team to sneak in a few hours more training to get our strength up. We were going to head to the gym and see if you wanted to join?"

Hunter truely had been accepted into the friend group now. There's no getting rid of him unless everyone let him go. William is fond of him, and even though it's taken some time- I think I could accept that he's going to always be around. It's Jake that seems to sit on the line.

"I'm not sure if I'm-"

"Lolita should come with us." Jake's suggestion interrupts Hunter. "He doesn't want to join, then so be it. We-"

"Actually, I've changed my mind." Hunter is the one stopping him this time around. Both William and I watch the tension unfold. "I think I'd like to tag along."

The air shifts uncomfortably. The boys are staring each other down with defensive stances. Hunter had only agreed because it got under Jake's skin, and he liked that. I only hope the two don't start another fight.

William clears his throat which manages to make them snap back into their senses. "In that case, we should start to make our way there. I don't want to be there late."