Chapter Thirty Seven

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Thirty Seven

A loud sigh escapes my lips when the final bell rings to signal the end of the day

A loud sigh escapes my lips when the final bell rings to signal the end of the day. I don't bother listening to what the teacher is saying. Myself and the other students quickly gather our things to get out of this hell hole as fast as possible.

I hate school.

I grab all my belongings and push out of the classroom and into the crowded hall of hollering students. I try to stay away from the moving with the crowd so I don't trip and get trampled on.

Or perhaps I simply don't like the idea of swimming with a swarm of smelly and gross teenagers.

I break away from the group once I reach my locker where I quickly put in my code and open it, stuffing it full of text books. I haven't bothered to decorate the interior of mine like everyone else. It seemed useless to me.

By now, most of the students have cleared out because I'd taken my time. I did it on purpose. They're normally gone within a few minutes.

I leave the hall and venture outside to the carpark where the students are either racing to their cars or standing in groups talking. When I glance to the spot where I'm suppose to meet the boys, I realise I had beat them all.

I wait by the tree that is close to the cars. It's where we agreed on since it was the most convenient. It's the same spot as always. I watch the main set of doors so I can see when they come out.

They haven't yet, but a certain person that makes me groan does. Mia Vanderwal marches out with pride in her step, with her two friends at her side.

We make brief eye contact, only between myself and Mia. The other two barely pay a fuss. I roll my eyes and lean into the comfort of the tree while crossing my arms across my chest.

She smiles, another wicked one that makes my stomach churn. This time it's knowing. I feel queasy thinking back to what she said earlier about having a good afternoon.

The eye contact between us breaks when she approaches a car that is directly ahead of the doors. I wasn't paying more attention to her until I saw her move fast. She throws her arms around someone's neck.

My stomach hollows out. It's not just any person she stands embracing, it's Noah. He stands pressed against Mia with an arm winding around her waist. They're kissing.

Oh gosh.
I'm going to be sick. I want to run- cry- hide.

It hurt more than I cared to admit. Not because of their shared feelings, but only because he's here. On my school grounds with a girl who doesn't believe me. That doesn't believe that he had assaulted me.

Although I had to admit they might be a perfect match. A pair that reeks of a horrible soul and ruining intentions. Both abominations.

My hand flies to the necklace I have on- Harper's necklace, hoping it would be more comfort than the tree. If I move anywhere, they'll see me. I know they will, and it will make Mia satisfied that she'd made me feel terrible.