Chapter Thirty Five

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Thirty Five

A smile hasn't left my face for as long as I can remember

A smile hasn't left my face for as long as I can remember. I'm shoving the last pair of fuzzy socks into the duffle bag William had brought me when I was first admitted. In other words, I am packing.

I'm going back home today.

It took me two more weeks of check ups and holding myself together in a stable state of mind. It was difficult, but I managed. Most of my time had been the same- my friends and dad visiting often when they could between my packed schedule.

The school day is nearly over for my friends, and soon enough, William will show up to drive me home. He offered before anyone could. Unfortunately my dad can't make it because the trip to Los Angeles was pushed back given he delayed it to visit me.

Doctor Weston had officially discharged me, and notified William that he can get me out after school. Everyone was thrilled about the news.

Especially me. The walls of the ward were slowly beginning to feed me dreadful thoughts and memories of my time here. The hardest part of recovering, aside from my own head, is the building. The ward itself.

Although, I am sad to be leaving Harper behind.

Her and I made every one of our moments count. We'd endlessly played bored games until we were scolded to go to bed, and she taught me so much about reading novels.

I promised her once the day came to leave, I will visit her as much as I can. The idea of abandoning her aches my bones. We have grown so close, and she feels to me the same way my friends do. Like family.

The ginger haired girl never had someone there for her since her dad's passing. I am glad to be the one to lift her spirit despite her soul being so cracked and splintered that her condition hasn't wavered even in the slightest.

I haven't told her I'm leaving yet.

She seemed so unwell yesterday when we were playing cars games for hours on end. I feared giving her the news would upset her even more. When I  found out this morning that I am being discharged, I rushed straight to my room to pack.

I haven't seen her today. If my thoughts are correct, she should be either in her room or lounging in the shared areas.

I noticed today the rather unusual atmosphere in the ward. I haven't seen a single person outside their room. Normally there are a few patients lingering around, or sitting in the lounging area. But today, there is barely anyone. Food was served to our rooms, not in the hall.

There's roughly ten minutes until William will be here for me. I needed to spend my last time with Harper, saying a rather difficult goodbye. It's my last chance at encouraging her to start recovery and live a life here in Lacewood without her mother.