Chapter Thirty Eight

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Thirty Eight

I grew up thinking that internal pain was the hardest to handle

I grew up thinking that internal pain was the hardest to handle. That having an anxiety attack or being stuck in a state of depression was the sickest and worse feeling I would experience.

I was wrong.

Hunter's injuries are a hundred knives slicing into my flesh, then jabbing my stomach and head. Within a matter of minutes his skin has worsened. It already is bruising.

Noah had hurt him, and I know it was because of what happened after school. This was my fault. I'm holding that tightly to my chest every time I hear Hunter wince or hiss.

William gently hands over another ice pack to place on his right eye. It had taken a bad blow and is swelling shut slowly.

We thought it was best to keep him in our apartment for the night to keep a close eye on him, and assist with whatever he would need. I wanted him to go to hospital, but Hunter refused.

I sit beside him on my bed and adjust the fluffy blanket over his body so he can stay warm after being exposed to the icy night air for so long.

"What happened?" William finally takes a moment to ask the question we both wanted to know. Our priority was making sure he was comfortable and taken care of before diving into the event.

My blond best friend settles himself at the end of the bed and has watchful eyes over Hunter. He's fully conscious now that the painkillers are kicking in, and he is in a warm, safe, comfortable bed.

"I went to the gym to blow of some steam, but the moment I stumbled outside all tired and worn out, I was grabbed by the shirt and dragged back into the alley. I didn't even know what was happening until I saw Noah. He must of waited until I spent all my energy."

He'd taken advantage of Hunter. I shudder at the thought of Noah stalking and watching him to wait for the perfect opportunity to get him alone. I know that Hunter would've had an upper hand if he wasn't tired, so Noah had been a coward and thought of a plan.

"All of this is my fault." I can't stop myself from admitting this. It is true, I know that. Every bruise, cut, scratch, shiver my boyfriend has is because of me. There's an glowing arrow above my head that points the guilty finger down.

I feel William's hard stare on me after I say this. He's trying to think of something to say- along the lines of 'it's Noah, not you'. The guilt is eating me alive from the inside to the out.

"Lolita, don't you dare even think that any of it is your fault." My arm is pulled by Hunter so that I am closer to him and am be able to hear his stern words more. "It is not your fault. I'm happy this happened to me and not you. If you came with me god knows what would of happened."