Chapter Forty Three

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Forty Three

Most of the day has passed since I left Hunter's apartment, letting my anger and embarrassment smother me while I finish the homework I had for the weekend, and work further on the routine the girls and I have been planning for the cheer competition

The competition isn't too far away, but it's not close either. We have a bit more than a month to perfect our dance. This meant that in the coming weeks we have to sacrifice our weekends and after school hours to practice.

Sadly the lunch breaks can only be used for practice for the game cheers otherwise we'll fall behind. It is a pile of choreographing that keeps growing bigger, but thankfully the girls reduce the stress by contributing ideas.

I sigh and close my book where I had jotted down notes for the next cheer practice, tossing it onto the mountain of completed school work.

I feel too drained and unmotivated to finish any more work. William has gone to spend the night at Chuck's place, but he was ready to cancel if I didn't reassure a thousand times that I am okay.

He wasn't worried I'd break down into a crying mess- he was worried that he'd need to be a room away if Hunter were to come over and we'd talk over the secrecy.

The both of us are overreacting. I need to learn that it's okay for him to have kept the portion of his life behind him, yet now with the hints I've received, I want to know more than ever.

But before I was going to ask or listen to him, I needed my own time to simmer down, and I did have to make a quick trip to the chemist to get a morning after pill.

Hunter has sent a few text messages, but I haven't reached for my phone to read them. I think he knocked at the apartment door a while ago, but I was nose deep in homework.

Like it was perfectly timed alongside my thoughts, there's a knock at the apartment door. Immediately, I recognise Hunter's distinct knock since it's the same one from earlier.

I'm not sure if I'm quite ready yet to answer. There's still small amounts of frustration bubbling under my skin that I need to force away first. I walk towards the kitchen to fetch a bottle of water in hopes it will fasten the process of calming.

"Lolita, I know you're in there." Hunter's soft voice sounds from the other side of the door. It's enough to make me freeze as I was twisting the cap off the bottle.

I felt guilty for avoiding him again. It's exactly what I had done last time. Though, now I'm only taking a few hours to ready myself.

"Please, just open the door." I thought this was going to be the opposite way around- that I was going to be knocking at his door to ask my questions.

Taking a deep breath, I leave my bottle on the kitchen island and go to the apartment door. "Lolita, I'm," he pauses and let's out a breath loud enough that I hear it through the wood. "Please, open the door before I have to pick the lock."