Chapter Forty

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Forty

My heart is throwing itself against my chest like it normally does while I'm anxious

My heart is throwing itself against my chest like it normally does while I'm anxious. I can feel each jab as I watch William pace back and forth.

"Yep- okay- that's great- okay- thank you." His words are short and simple, indicating that the detective is doing the most talking. I feel my hands shaking. "Thank you again. Have a good day."

He presses the red button on his phone and tosses it carelessly on the couch beside me. His sight glances between mine and Hunter's, a smile growing on his face.

Yesterday, we never heard back from the detective with any updates, until now. He'd called William personally roughly five minutes ago. Hunter and I had dived onto the sofa to wait for the call to be over.

We had been getting ready for school when the phone rang. We all didn't care that we may be late because of it. We wanted to hear if we could be helped or not.

I'm relieved at William's smile. "Noah and his father have both been arrested and waiting on trial for both Hunter's physical assault, being caught conducting an illegal drug business here, and wrongful release. The person in the force that lodged the paperwork is also being investigated. The detective said they both looking at a long jail sentence, especially Noah due to his previous sexual assault cases which will be raised in court. All three people are getting taken down."

"That's so good!" Hunter sighs loudly and rests back into the couch to rub his still bruised eyes.

Even though I am happy, hearing that my case would be brought back up in a court room forces my stomach to turn. I lean forward and press my elbows into my knees. "It's about time. It's not fair that he'd gotten out so early." I quietly say.

No one else can get hurt because of me. Not my friends, not any more potential girls despite him m supposedly with Mia Vanderwal, not anyone else that doesn't deserve it.

A hand presses against my back and starts rubbing small circular patterns. I glance up to see that it's William, clearly feeling the same way I am. His eyes are glossy, but don't spill.

"I think for once you're going to be able to live your life again without anyone trying to stop that." He says.

I stand up and wrap my arms around tightly around his neck, raising to the top of my toes to do so. The news is not only relief to me, but those around me. They can't be hurt anymore. No more drama, chaos, bullying- nothing. We can focus on school again.

"We're all okay now, that's what matters." I mean what I tell him. "He got what he deserved and we're only left with the pieces, but we can fix that."

"And we will." Hunter stands up from the couch and grabs both his and my bag, slinging them over his shoulders. "So we're going to go to school and have a kick ass day without having at worry about anything."