Chapter 24

Moments before

(Ciel's POV)

I was just heading down the hallway near the guest rooms when Soma turned the corner and looked both ways until his eyes landed on me. His eyes lit up as he raced straight at me with speed that reminded me of Elizabeth. Though, instead of a hug, he grabbed my arm and ran back around the same corner I saw him come from.

"What the hell?" I shouted at him.

"I apologize, but I was passing by Miss Red's room and heard her crying." He shouted back as he continued running.

"And?"

"Wel-" he was cut off by a scream. He started to run faster, I followed after him, trying to keep up with his pace.

I arrived at Red's door after Soma knocked.

'Why did she scream?'

When there was no answer to Soma's knock, he opened the door. We entered in slowly and saw Red curled in a ball holding her head as she was sobbing.

"Miss Red?" Soma asked carefully. He walked to her side and placed the palm of his hand on his forehead. His eyes widened slightly as he looked back at me. "She seems to have a fever. I'll get Miss maid!"

He took off out of the room, leaving me behind. I walked slowly to her, the heels of my shoes being the only sound besides her sobbing. I felt my gaze soften at the state she was in. it reminded me of when...that happened. I sat beside her figure and felt her forehead, brushing her hair back some.

'She does have a fever...but...'

"Why did you scream?" I asked her only to not earn a response back. I sighed as I pulled her into a sitting position. When I was about to repeat my question, I looked at her face. Yes, it held signs that she had a cold but it also held...grief. Grief of losing someone. That same grief I suffered so long in that place where I wasn't helped, nor comforted. That same place where I felt alone.

'But, she isn't alone. She has Undertaker, Finnian, and even Elizabeth for her. She may be strange and out of character, in more ways than one, but she now also has me included in her life as her friend.'

I slowly wrapped my arms around her in a hug, feeling highly awkward for never doing these kinds of things. She only continued to cry. Moments passed before I finally hear her voice, though I hardly expected anything sad of the sort to come from her.

"Mother." Was all she said before her crying stopped and her breathing relaxed.

I laid her gently back into her bed, placing the covers over her sleeping figure and stared at her from where I sat (*cough* not creepy at all *cough*). I stared at the necklace that hung around her neck as the jewel glistened on the pillow. My gaze then moved towards her face as I look at the tear stains that travelled down from her eyes to her jaw. I stared at her eyelids that show a kind but chilling grey that I mistake for blue sometimes.

Shaking my head, I turned to the window beside her bed and stared out into the early morning landscape. My visible eye narrowed as I ask myself a question I've been repeating for a while.

'What the hell is happening to me?'