Chapter 92

"This school is a respected institution that has produced elites who form the mainstay of Great Britain. Our generation cannot afford to defile the tradition that has been protected for hundreds of years since the founding of this school...for the history of Weston College is the history of England!" Bluewer explained in defense for him and his fellow prefects.

A razor thin line separates education and brainwashing. They act as if they're slaves to tradition., Ciel thought as he sighed. It's a waste of time to argue them to silence since they've been this way for six years.

"...Fine." Ciel said, causing his butler and Red to turn to him with raised eyebrows. "We were investigating this incident...under the orders of a certain distinguished personage. I can't keep silent now that I've uncovered the truth. However, I shall request measures which will take your circumstances into account. Now. That just leaves you. What are you after!?"

Ciel glared at the reaper that held a maniacal grin as he held his adopted daughter in a hug.

"You have just bestowed upon me plenty of laughter...hee hee! So I will explain for old times' sake." Undertaker responded as he began to eat one of the pastries on the table.

"It was only for a moment, but Derrick was conscious beyond a doubt." Ciel spoke as he glared more at the man before him. "He was clearly different from the previous reanimated corpses...no. He has evolved!"

"It pleases me to hear that. Quite so. Especially after all of Red's hard work."

Red's reaction was a mixture of denial and fear as she began to tremble more. She shook her head, not wanting to believe what Undertaker was saying as she thought back to all of the research both he and her had done as they both "fixed" countless corpses for funerals. She then looked at her adoptive father with a look of hurt.

"You used me...so it could progress the work on your creations..." she said, realizing every method she was taught was to help him.

The reaper only chuckled as he held out his arms and said, "The dead can also advance by way of episodes."

"Episodes...?" Sebastian questioned in confusion. "Do you mean the counterfeit memories you have created? Connecting them to the cinematic records of the dead was how the corpses began moving."

"Guess again. You're close though. Those memories were gibberish. The current corpses are being moved by their longing for the future. Humans recall their pasts in their final moments. That is their cinematic record. At the same time, they crave the futures they were to have had, although those futures are incomplete. The fragments of those futures comprise their episodes. What if those episodes could be extracted? What if several tens of thousands of cuts can be had? What if the total length of the linked episodes was longer than their cinematic records? It's akin to a future forecast. They are memories of the future...nothing like my counterfeit memories. If I connect such a thing to a cinematic record- Do you not agree that what will be perfected is a reanimated corpse infinitely approaching a living human!!? Well...the probability of success is still very low as it is dependent on the quantity and quality of the episodes."

Ciel was silent for a moment as the gun in his hand shook before he pointed it at Undertaker as he shouted, "I just don't understand. Why are you doing this!? Where is the sense in bringing back the dead!?"