Chapter 39

All light outside faded to darkness except for a single tent. All were asleep but four people. Inside the medical tent, Ciel sat beside an unconscious Red.

"Will she be all right?" he asked.

"I am unsure..." the doctor replied.

The young boy held the girl's hand as he stared at her face. Sebastian merely stood behind his master, his face void of emotion. Suddenly, the flaps to the tent opened, revealing Snake as he entered with his snakes.

"Snake, what are you doing here?"

"'Donne wanted to see how Angel is doing.' Says Goethe." He replied, his voice changing tones.

"She will live, but I'm not sure about her injuries that well..."

"What do you mean?" Ciel asked.

Taking off his glasses, the doctor sighed. "You see, none of her bones are broken."

The three men stared at the crippled doctor in bewilderment.

"B...But we heard the crack..."

"What you heard, was a fracture to her spine."

The three continued to stare at the man in confusion until he sighed again.

"When she fell, her back mainly took the blow of the fall, followed by her head. That is why she is currently unconscious." He elaborated. "She's lucky to be alive. However, if she moves from the position she is in, her spine may snap in half and sever the nerves with it. It will cause severe damage to her body."

"I see..." Sebastian muttered.

"It's best if all of you return to your tents and rest for the night."

Snake nodded as he left the tent without another word, Sebastian and Ciel staying behind. The doctor raised a single eyebrow at the two before speaking up.

"You're not gonna leave, are you?"

"Of course not, I'll make sure Smile retur-"

"I was talking about the boy..." the doctor said before looking directly at Ciel. "You never left her side since the accident. You're staying, I presume?"

Ciel looked back at the girl beside him and nodded.

"Well, I'll see you all in the morning, make sure she doesn't move from that spot." And with that, he left.

"Master?" Sebastian whispered.

"Go."

"Sir-"

"Find more clues in Joker's tent when he's asleep or not there."

"Yes, my lord."

Sebastian then left, leaving the earl alone with Red. Silence passed by as he continued to stare at the girl before him. It had been a few hours since the accident and she had not opened her eyes since. Ciel's hand gripped hers as he laid his head down on the bed she was in. Suddenly, he felt her hand squeeze his, causing him to sit up and look down at her. Her eyes opened, looking straight at the ceiling.

"Don't move." He warned when he saw her about to sit up.

Her eyes moving to his direction, she asked, "Where am I?"

"You're in the medical tent. Do you remember what happened?"

"I...I was performing my act...then I heard something snap...everything was dark but I heard your voice and others..."

"You fell...we weren't sure if you were going to wake up...it has been a few hours...the doctor here said that if you move from that spot your spine will snap with the nerves in your body."

"Where is Sebastian?"

"I gave him an order to look into Joker's tent."

"I see..."

Silence took over in the room as the two teenagers stared at nothing, holding hands. Red looked down at her hand being held in Ciel's and looked up at him.

"You're holding my hand?" she asked, trying not to laugh.

"Shut up." He muttered as he looked to the side and let go of her hand, his cheeks tinted pink.

Silence took over again until Ciel cleared his throat, speaking up.

"About...About what happened before you went to perform-"

"I really don't want to talk about that."

"Right now may be the only time since everyone is asleep or busy."

"Ciel-"

"Out of all options to choose from, why choose to kiss me?"

"I...I blanked out...I couldn't think of anything else that would convince any other person if they found us alone."

Silence came again before Ciel's face hovered directly over Red's. His eyes staring straight into her wide eyes.

"What did it mean to you?"

The red head stayed silent for a few moments, trying to find the words she could think of to tell him what it meant. Only one idea was in her mind, but she would never tell him. Finally, she thought of something to say.

"I'm...unsure..." she said as his face grew closer towards hers, making her shut her eyes tight.

"And what is this?" A stern voice questioned.