Chapter 70

As the glass rained down over everyone, Ciel stared with a wide eye at the man that was leaning against the red-headed girl that he learned to care for.

"Undertaker...!?"

With one final crash, all of the glass was now on the floor in shattered pieces. Everyone stared at Undertaker with different expressions.

"He masked his presence most skillfully." Sebastian commented. "His 'eyes' have always been hidden as well, so it escaped even my notice."

"Same here." Grell nodded. "He fooled me good."

"Mister Sutcliffe, sir!" Ronald exclaimed, hopping up onto his feet. "Those eyes..."

"Yes. That chartreuse phosphorescence, without a doubt, can only belong to a grim reaper!"

Undertaker chuckled before smirking at the other two reapers and said, "How nostalgic! It's been at least half a century since I was last called that. Right dearie?"

Red nodded with a blank look on her face as she said, "Correct from what you've told me some years ago, uncle Adrian."

"The undertaker...is a grim reaper-!?"

Ciel was shortly interrupted by Rian Stoker, who rounded the corner shouting.

"Explain yourself, Undertaker!! You said I could control those corpses with this device!"

"Did I now, truly?" Undertaker wondered as he scratched his chin.

"So you tricked me...was it all a lie!? Even the part about sailing to America to popularize absolute salvation...everything!!?"

"Well, you seeee...I found it comical that you were earnestly attempting to resurrect the dead via medical science...you were just the man of talent for my purposes."

"And what of our singular desire to bring the whole world into health and well-being through medicine...!?"

"That was your desire, right? Besides! You are not capable of bringing the dead back to life by the power of the medical knowledge in your grasp. And it all ceased to be medicine in the first place the moment you began to depend on my techniques. One who conducts procedures upon his patients that he himself does not understand can no longer call himself a physician."

In utter shock, Rian collapsed to his knees and muttered, "H-How could this be...?"

Undertaker leaned over the man and patted his head, saying, "You were a good lad, naively buying all I said without question."

"So you're saying that you masterminded the Aurora Society's experiments to resurrect the dead? Undertaker!" Ciel called out.